Audacity 2.4.2 are not released (on Linux) !

Indeed, I see that the software, in its version 2.4.2, is not available as a package, neither for Fedora (.rpm), nor for Debian (.deb).
Using Fedora, the latest version available in the repositories is version 2.3.3.
Personally, I don’t want to waste my time trying to compile the program, so it would be desirable to provide updated packages in the repositories please!

Regards,

We only supply source code for Linux. Binary packages are supplied by the package maintainers of each Linux distribution.This is standard practice for Linux because there are so many different Linux distributions.

Ok but you could still provide a .rpm and .deb package, which are the most used.
Knowing that the latest compiled version available is 2.3.3, I think we can still wait for an update made by package maintainers.

So could you, it’s open source :open_mouth: . Do you have the resources to produce, test and distribute deb and rpm packages (32 and 64 bit) for Debian 10, 11, 12 and current versions of Fedora, OpenSuse, OpenMandriva and whatever else you think should be supported? Unfortunately we don’t have the resources to do that. We provide binaries for all current versions of Windows and macOS and source code for everything else.

If i managed to compile the sources for fedora 33, how can i make it available to everyone?

I imagine you could copy it to Dropbox, then post a link for it right here…

steve, is there any policy on this?

We have no specific policy on that, but I don’t think it would be very effective as only a tiny minority of Fedora users visit this forum (possibly no more than a dozen or so in all the years that this forum has been running).

For Ubuntu based distributions the answer would be to set up a PPA (there already is an Ubuntu PPA for Audacity).

I have no experience with distributing builds for Fedora, but the same question has some replies here: packaging - Is there is a PPA-service equivalent in the Fedora world? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

If I manage to create a .rpm package of the software, could the Audacity team publish it directly to the website?

We do have a policy about that. The policy is that we publish binaries for Windows and macOS and source code for Linux.