Add "excitement" to audio

Minor problem with “Sibalance CM” in Audacity …
Like many VST plug-in effects in Audacity, how it sounds the real-time preview is not how it sounds when applied.

The applied effect is much weaker.

Workaround: apply the effect repeatedly, (“Ctrl” +“R”).

[ Possibly an unintentional loop going on where the effect is repeatedly applied in the real-time preview.
It’s not a case of the plugin only applying the default settings, I checked ].

I will be putting this in a macro, since I have so many files to process. Any suggestions on how many times I should repeat it?

Here is how I got the Sibilance CM plug-in, found by Trebor, described here:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/free-vst-au-de-esser-toneboosters-sibalance-cm-632437

First, get the Feb 2016 issue of Computer Music magazine (CAD $2.24 for me). The links to the iOS store and Google Play are on this page, or just search those stores for it:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/computer-music-stereo-science-issue-226-february-2016-632439

Here is the direct Google Play link, however note that this might just take you to the latest issue, so you might need to scroll down and go to back issues, and find issue 226, or Feb 2016:

https://play.google.com/store/newsstand/details?id=CAow4b-IAg&cdid=magazineissue-CAAqBwgKMOG_iAIw4ujWAQ&hl=en

Then go to the FileSilo page that hosts the plug-in, here:
https://www.filesilo.co.uk/software/sibalance-cm/

Click “UNLOCK CONTENT”. Step through the steps it takes you through, to register an account with FileSilo, click Unlock at least one more time, and then it will ask a question, like “What is the word after ‘tone’ in the headline on page 88?”. I got it wrong the first time since I bought the current issue by mistake, so it asked another, so they seem randomized.

The tricky part for me was getting the issue (make sure Feb 2016) which I’d bought on my Android to switch from continuous scroll into page mode so I could find the page it referred to. On Android that was by clicking the grey toggle button on the top right. Then once in normal page mode, swipe to the page it is asking about to find the word it wants.

Not that bad - once you know how to do it!

All installed. Now it’s setting time!

I noticed that out of the box it has amount of 50%, attack of 5 ms, and the bar on the left is at zero (not sure what this is for).

Whereas the in your post above, you have changed the amount to 100%, same attack of 5 ms, and changed the bar on the left seems to what looks like about -3. Are those the settings you would recommend?

(And as per query above, any suggestions then on how many times to invoke it?)

Here are some tests in case they help. I used the settings in your pic of amount 100%, bar on left at about -3.

Assuming those are right (please let me know if not) the excerpts in this test apply the effect twice, three, four, and five times.

Does this data help narrow down the right approach?

The orange pointer on the left edge is the threshold control.

I suggest it be applied twice at these settings …

It will sound too much (lispy) in the preview, but the applied effect is less.

As previously, a little bit of treble-boost after de-ess to add presence is beneficial.

Thanks. The bar on the left for me goes from -5 to -160, and I cannot figure out how to get it to go to -10 as in your pic. How did you do that?

When that plugin is first opened it erroneously says “-160”.
That is corrected to -10 when preview is enabled …

''-160'' is an error which goes away after enabling preview.gif
With the “twice” settings I’ve suggested, the preview will have too much de-essing.
But the effect applied is less than what you hear in the preview.

It’s annoying that the result applied is not the same as the preview, but that’s a quirk of Audacity :
other VST plugins exhibit the same behavior when in Audacity.

Ah, so -160 is really -10. Understood.

I selected the second person from the left as in your pic, the one showing a person in front of a mic. (This records a parameter in the macro of Mode=0.3333.)

Interestingly, for threshold, when I put it in a macro, a threshold of -10 records as a parameter of 0.0. A threshold of -5 is recorded with a parameter of 0.1625. And a threshold of 0 is recorded in the macro with a parameter of 0.3286. Just for info, whatever works for them.

Attached is a test, with the settings applied once, twice, and three times. Is twice the winner, or do you think three times is better, or have other suggestions?

The “mic” is a neck-tie, to indicate a man , (male sibliance occupies a different frequency-range than female).

I go with two applications of this*, followed by a slight treble-boost (presence)…

suggested slight treble- boost after two applications of sibalance-CM.png

[ * I don’t know how that translates into macro : I’ve not tried that ].

I currently have the following applied at the end from a previous post of yours. Are the numbers additive, and I can just add those to the ones you suggest, or is there another way to combine them?
meq.PNG

Don’t combine them, it’s one or the other.
Those equalizations are so close, only ~1dB difference, you could just leave the Marvel GEQ presence-boost that you’ve got in the chain, (after double de-essing with sibalance CM).

Thanks much. I tried it on a long track, and it sounds great to me. And this is the first time I’ve felt that! So it is good to go.

Your help has been invaluable. You are going to heaven. Or deserve whatever kind of spiritual reward works best for you.

I’ll post a consolidated summary of everything we have done. Give me a week or so on that as I will be buried in processing in the near term. I will post a link to that at the top of this thread for others.

Note to others: a consolidated posting of the effects of all the interchange on this post can be found in this post Voice improvement - consolidated effects.

Hi Trevor,

Just stumbled over post from some time ago, and it makes pretty nervous. Could you please explain to it: why VST-PlugIns sounds in real-time preview not as when it is applied ??

Regards Ralf

Post by Trebor » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:55 am

Like many VST plug-in effects in Audacity, how it sounds the real-time preview is not how it sounds when applied.
<<<<<<<<<<

I assume that you “Trebor”, but as I’m here …

It’s a “feature”.

Unlike “real-time DAW” applications, Audacity applies effects directly to the audio at the time that you apply the effect.
Real-time DAW applications don’t change the audio data until mix-down or exporting the audio.

For most of Audacity’s effect, you select the audio to be processed, open the effect, make your settings and apply the effect. The audio is processed and the track now contains the processed audio.

One of the big disadvantages of this approach is that you can’t twiddle with the settings while hearing the effect. Audacity works around this limitation in some effects (including VST effects) with “Real-time preview”. This means that you can preview the effect, and hear the results while twiddling the controls, and then, when you are happy with the settings, apply the effect.
More detail here: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/real_time_preview_of_effects.html

Yes Steve, I meant Trebor. I guess i was misleading by thinking of Trevor Rabin of formerly YES :wink:

Ok, thanx for responding anyway. I read the linked manual page with interesting information. But still is not entirely clear to me why Trebor said that VST-PlugIns sounds in real-time preview not as when it is applied. Is ist all because of latency?

You’re probably over-thinking it.
All that he meant is that when you click the “Apply” button, the effect is applied. You can then close the effect window.

I dont’t think so Steve. He explicitly mentioned that the applied effect is weaker [than the sound of real-time preview] and gives the advice to apply the effect repeatedly. His idea why this happened reads like a bug to me.

But its theoretical, I did not encounter this problem yet. In this respekt you are right: may be I’m over-thinking it. I just wanted to be prepared …

— Trebor » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:55 am -------------------->>>

The applied effect is much weaker.

Workaround: apply the effect repeatedly, (“Ctrl” +“R”).

[ Possibly an unintentional loop going on where the effect is repeatedly applied in the real-time preview.
It’s not a case of the plugin only applying the default settings, I checked ].
<<<— Trebor-------------------------------------------------------

If that really is the case, then it should be logged as a bug.
Note that Trebor wrote that two years ago. If it is a bug, and if it still exists, then it is extraordinary that no-one has reported it.