Error after editing.

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: Error after editing.

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:52 pm

bodegg wrote:Every little helps as they say!

Yes indeed :) though it is even more helpful to save the log file (as a text file) and then attach the text file to the forum post.
To attach a text file, use the "upload attachment" tab below the message composing box (not necessary on this occasion as the log is fairly small and I can see what I was expecting to see).

A quick breakdown:
The "FFmpeg" stuff shows that you don't have the optional FFmpeg library installed (not a problem - it's optional).
There are 4 ".AU" files listed in the ".AUP" file that can't be found in the project's "_data" folder - this is the problem and we need to find out why this occurs.

With well over a million downloads of Audacity 2.2.1 for Windows, it's weird that there's not much more than a handful of cases of this problem. Makes me wonder what's so special about your machine. Perhaps you can fill in a few gaps:
* The exact version of Windows?
* What is the system language of your computer?
* What anti-virus / other security / maintenance products on your machine?
* How much free space on your C: drive
* Is your C: drive a spinning disk hard drive or a SSD?
* Does your computer hibernate / sleep when left inactive - how long does it have to be left for, and any chance that this could be related to the problem?
* Did you download Audacity from here: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/
* Anything that you can think of that may be "untypical" about your computer?
* Did you use the "EXE" installer for Audacity?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by bodegg » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Ok I'll try and fill in some gaps:-

Windows 7 professional service pack 1
system language - english (I hope that's what you meant by 'language')
Avast antivirus (up to date)
Intel i5 3.20ghz
16gb RAM
64 bit operating system
440 gb free space on a spinning hd
No hibernation or standby/sleep settings
I updated audacity by clicking on 'check for updates' and following the first link.

I can't think of anything that would be different for the new version rather than the old, other than the update itself. What I didn't do however is uninstall the previous version first, I simply double clicked the newer exe. I've attached the log file as a txt.
Attachments
audacity error log.txt
(3.25 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
bodegg

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:52 pm

We've made some progress in discovering what is going on.
In your steps:

1. Recorded a couple of minutes audio from an online radio player.
  2. Saved file as aup. Closed program.
  3. Reopened file with audacity - no problem.
  4. Selected a chunk of audio from beginning, approx 30 secs, and deleted.
  5. Saved file as aup. Closed program.
  6. Reopened file and got the same result and error message as above image 1.
It appears that step 5 has to be:
Save file as aup using "File menu > Save Project As..." command.

"File menu > Save Project" is the normal command to save the project with its current name. This is what I normally do, which is why I could not reproduce the problem, Only by using "Save As" does the problem occur. The developers are now working on a fix.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by bodegg » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:00 pm

Ah good, at least you've found something! I've always hit the 'Save project as...' command simply as a matter of habit, I don't think I've ever clicked on 'save project...'.
bodegg

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:03 pm

bodegg wrote:Ah good, at least you've found something! I've always hit the 'Save project as...' command simply as a matter of habit, I don't think I've ever clicked on 'save project...'.

Why not get used to using the shortcut Ctrl+S (shortcut for "File>Save") - I always find that much easier.

WC

BTW the Bug report for the issue you found for us - or led us to with some further investigation - is here: http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1811

It's logged as PI so must be fixed for the next release, as it can cause data-loss (something we take very seriously).

Good catch 8-)

Peter
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by bodegg » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:07 pm

Hey no problem, pleased I could help, although finding faults is the easiest job in the world, it's fixing them that takes real work!
As a footnote, I reopened the damaged 'test' file to see if I could do anything with it and found that if I chose the third option on the error message 'replace missing audio with silence (permanent immediately)' I am able to save or convert the file normally without issue, albeit losing some audio. A small victory but I'll take it!
bodegg

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:51 pm

bodegg wrote:Hey no problem, pleased I could help, although finding faults is the easiest job in the world, it's fixing them that takes real work!
As a footnote, I reopened the damaged 'test' file to see if I could do anything with it and found that if I chose the third option on the error message 'replace missing audio with silence (permanent immediately)' I am able to save or convert the file normally without issue, albeit losing some audio. A small victory but I'll take it!

Yes I experimented with that when I was testing. I found that when I deleted audio from the bginning and then reopend I had 12 seconds of silece at the beginning. If I deleted at the end or the middle the sillences wre respectively in the end and the middle.

See the buglog: http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_b ... id=1811#c1

Rest assured that this bug WILL be fixed before we make the next release (which may not be too far away).

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Previous

Return to Windows