time-shift tool

I’ve never had this problem before. I’m running windows 8, Audacity 2.1.2. Yesterday everything was fine. Today, when I went to shift some sections I had copied from another track, every track on the page shifted as a unit. It doesn’t matter if the section is high-lighted or not, whether I use the cursor or the touch screen. Why is this happening and how do I stop it? Any suggestions? Thanks,

Ricki

Turn off “Sync-Lock” (see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/edit_toolbar.html#link)

If you’re seeing a lot of clocks …

then you’ve (accidentally) engaged sync-lock by clicking on the clock icon

Oh my yes…and there were clocks everywhere! Thank you both for your quick responses. I see the clock that I must have hit by mistake. Didn’t even know what it was for, or realize I’d hit it. Well, I’m glad that’s over! Lesson learned. Thanks,

Ricki

In the upcoming 2.2.0 release we’ve remove that clock button from the Edit toolbar - so it should be a lot harder to accidentally invoke sync-lock.

In 2.2.0 it moves to become a menu item at the bottom of the Tracks menu.

WC

Is there a way to bring back the Sync-lock tracks button to the toolbar?

I’ve found it quite useful!

Thanks,

I suspect not

If you use it a lot why not create a custom shortcut for Tracks > Sync-Lock Tracks (on/off)

For how to do that, see this page in the Manual: Shortcuts Preferences - Audacity Manual

The hardest part is finding an unused available key (or key combination) - as there are a lot of predefined shortcuts

WC

Eventually we want to make the toolbars much more customizable, but until then, we have to strike a balance between convenience for the more skilled / experienced users, while not confusing or overwhelming less experienced users. The Sync-Lock button was confusing too many people, and we gauged that most experienced users would be able to set up keyboard shortcuts.