Need settings to hear myself while recording in 3.4.1

Hello all. I would like to know how I can set up my Windows 11 version of Audacity 3.4.1 to hear myself while recording.

So far all the videos I’ve seen online are for older versions of Audacity and they say to go to Preferences, click on Recording and then un-tick Hear other tracks while recording (overdub) and to tick Software playthrough of input. The problem is that Audacity 3.4.1 does not have a Software playthrough of input listing choice.

I can hear what I record when I playback the recording but I cannot hear myself when recording. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Click…Menu Transport…Transport Options…Enable Audible Input Monitoring…

Hello…I did exactly as you suggested and I still don’t hear myself while I’m recording. I
have attached some photos of my desktop recording setup.

I use a Rode A-1 mic that plugs into the Rode interface. That interface pluge into the USB slot on the mini computer I use. I uploaded a photo of the setup.
mic setup

Do you think that I might be better off with an older version of Audacity? I do appreciate your input.

How are you actually recording in Audacity, everything you show are allthe gadgets surounding your PC.
Does your windows see your mic and interface as a device and is it enabled and selected.
Does Audacity Audio setup see you device as a input recording device.
It does not matter what version of Audacity you have it will have to be set up.

Click…Menu Transport…Transport Options…Enable Audible Input Monitoring… If you do this you will hear what is currently being recorded in the Tracks on you PC screen in Audacity…Make sure you have the wee tick at it when you click on Transport options.

You can’t listen to Audacity Real Time while you’re performing. It’s always going to be One Computer Late.

You’re supposed to plug your wired headphones into the Rode interface, and then convince Audacity to send the backing, environment, or accompanying tracks to the interface for mixing with your voice to your headphones.

What’s the part number of the interface?

Koz

Hi AudyMusik…the mic is plugged into the Rode interface. The Rode interface is connected to the mini computer by USB. The headphones are connected to the output port on the Rode interface. I’m not sure if it is helpful but I have a MK-1 switch that allows me to switch between source-1 and source-2. Audacity sees the mic too.

Hi Koz…here’s what I sent to AudyMusik: the mic is plugged into the Rode interface. The Rode interface is connected to the mini computer by USB. The headphones are connected to the output port on the Rode interface. I’m not sure if it is helpful but I have a MK-1 switch that allows me to switch between source-1 and source-2. Audacity sees the mic too.

What do you mean by it’s going to be One Computer Late?

I’m not at my computer now but I will look for the interface number you asked for. I know it came with the Rode A-1 package. Thanks!

Your computer need to see the USB interface in sound settings in windows…Does it…???
And the USB interface needs to be selected in Audio Setup in Audacity as a recording device…Does It…??

You would think you would configure Audacity to send your own voice back to you during the performance. That means your voice has to go through all the microphone electronics and cables, enter the computer and appear in Audacity. Audacity then folds back your voice to go back through all the digital wonderland to your headphones. All that takes time.

What’s supposed to happen is your interface grabs your voice straight off the microphone and turns it around for your headphones. No delays or echoes. Then, if they did it right, it mixes the background sound played back by Audacity so you can sing or perform on rhythm.

This is where I look up your Rode Interface instructions.

Koz

Early digital interfaces didn’t do this trick and they were of limited usefulness. Now, I believe they all do it. Even my little Behringer stereo interface will monitor its own output when you throw that monitor switch upper left.

I think we’re missing something basic which will be revealed in the instructions.

Koz

Oh, and there’s one note about this. If you insist that Audacity send your live voice back to you and you throw the monitor switch we don’t know about yet, you will hear both with horrendous echoes.

Koz

Yes the Rode has Zero latency monitoring via the headset all done within the interface…but the USB output of the interface is going to the PC as Audio USB device… Audacity needs to see it as a recording device and set up in Audacity Audio setup for recording and the blue line tracks will move across the screen . If you dont hear anything at the PC when recording then you need to click on Transport Options Monitoring

AI-Micro | USER GUIDE & SUPPORT | RØDE (rode.com)

You said it was Rode A1 this is link to Rode A1 Micro user guide…

I thought the complaint was the performer couldn’t hear themself. This is me going back to look.

Koz

Yes, that is the complaint.

Koz

The headset lets you hear whether recording or not

It is a little concerning that they say the interface will automatically configure itself—don’t worry your pretty little head about anything.

Direct Monitoring

By default, the AI-Micro has direct monitoring enabled. This means that the input signal from your microphone(s) will be sent straight to your headphones as well the connected device with no delay or echo. This is also called “zero-latency monitoring”.

They go on to say that the headphone volume and configuration is determined by their app.

Koz

I wonder if we’re experiencing a Devil’s Adapter Moment.

This is an 1/8" plug instead of 1/4", but the idea is the same.

A sound card is expecting Left-Sound, Right-Sound, and Ground working from the tip. What this adapter provides is Microphone Sound (XLR pin-2) , Out Of Phase Microphone Protection Signal (XLR pin-3) and Ground.

If you have a full stereo production facility, you can go all the way through producing a finished show only to discover about half of your clients can’t play it. The half that are listening on their phones or in mono.

I wonder what the microphone is and how it’s connected. I wonder which headphones (not headset) are being used

Koz

I assume from that CTDude you are using your interface working as it should and you want to record the output on windows using Audacity and hear what is being recorded in the tracks “real time” as real as Audacity can be. For that Audacity needs the USB input for recording selected as recording device and the transport option Monitoring set. And you will hear it on the PC speakers or PC headset if they are selected in Audacity as output device.
If you dont hear your output/input on the headset plugged in to the intefface then the interface need setup… For the modern one links above there is an app for doing that. If your is a “by gone days” version it may be different…we need to wait until you tell us the device you have, and the problems you have, and what you want to be able to do with it.

Sometimes when you use Transport Options Monitor in Audacity it can cause clicks in the recording.
Because it keeps the PC more busy due to outputing sound at same time…you would need to try and see.
Monitoring from the interface headset may be best.