Bass Boost effect

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
lodaxstax
Operating System: Please select

Bass Boost effect

Post by lodaxstax » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:40 am

Hello

I have been user of audacity software and I want to thank the team for creating such a wonderful tool.

I downloaded the new version of the software but find that in "effects" column, the "bass boost" plug in has been replaced by "bass & treble" plug in.

I would request the team to kindly either bring back the old plug-in or add that in the list as i found that was the most useful plug in for me as could actually treat bass frequencies individually which was a boon. The new plug-in is totally of no use, at least for me.

Hoping needful would be addressed.

Much thanks

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Bass Boost effect

Post by steve » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Bass Boost was upgraded to "Bass and Treble" for several reasons, including; a bug that could cause irreparable clipping distortion of the processed audio, some users wanted to be able to reduce the bass (not possible in the old effect), some users wanted to boost the treble (not possible in the old effect), some users wanted to reduce the treble (not possible in the old effect).

However, it is recognised that some users would prefer the old effect, so there is now an optional plug-in version of it available from here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyqui ... Bass_Boost
Installation instructions are here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Downl ... g_Plug-ins

Can I ask which feature of the old Bass Boost effect you miss? Is it primarily the "Frequency" option?

As well as the user selectable frequency, the old Bass Boost effect also had a much "steeper" filter slope.

How could the current Bass and Treble effect be modified so as to suit you?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

lodaxstax

Post by lodaxstax » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi

Thank you for the prompt response.
Can I ask which feature of the old Bass Boost effect you miss? Is it primarily the "Frequency" option?
]

When you apply uniform gain or amplify the bass frequencies the higher frequencies in 150-200 Hz range usually go so deep that they spoil the whole song with extreme humming and over powering all else in the song. I prefer to reduce those and increase frequencies in the range of 40-60 Hz which give a much deeper,crisper yet non irritable bass.

This allows to first play on equalization of individual frequencies and later play up the lower bass frequencies thereby reducing the need to apply uniform amplification.
How could the current Bass and Treble effect be modified so as to suit you?
I would prefer if there were separate plug-ins for both bass and treble with option to focus on frequencies which can be boosted as per individual taste like it was earlier.

The current version in some cases either completely reduces the amplitude or uniformly increases which does not provide the intended result.

Also I noticed whenever I am using Multiband EQ, the software becomes unstable and crashes. It has never happened before with Audacity so maybe if somebody could address that.

lodaxstax

Post by lodaxstax » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:49 pm

There was another suggestion I wanted to make thus using separate post.

I installed additional plug-ins list which makes the list extensive. When you are down browsing, its not a problem but if you have to go up the list and click on UP arrow, many times it keeps minimizing or maximizing the window cause its next to top window bar.

I would suggest there be a scroll feature or a search function in effects column so that desired plug-in can be accessed directly instead of every time going up and down.

Thanks

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:53 pm

lodaxstax wrote:Also I noticed whenever I am using Multiband EQ, the software becomes unstable and crashes.
Do you mean the "Equalization" effect (http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/equalization.html)?

I presume that you are using Audacity 2.0.5. Is that correct? (look in "Help > About Audacity" to check the version number).

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:56 pm

lodaxstax wrote:There was another suggestion I wanted to make thus using separate post.
It would be best if you start a new topic for that, so that it gets the attention it deserves,
As you are suggesting a new feature I'd suggest that you post it in this part of the forum: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=20

lodaxstax

Post by lodaxstax » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:08 pm

steve wrote:
lodaxstax wrote:Also I noticed whenever I am using Multiband EQ, the software becomes unstable and crashes.
Do you mean the "Equalization" effect (http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/equalization.html)?

I presume that you are using Audacity 2.0.5. Is that correct? (look in "Help > About Audacity" to check the version number).

Yes I m using Audacity 2.0.5
Multiband EQ

(multibandeq.ny) View | Download

Author: David R.Sky

Select total number of bands (T, from 2 to 30), band number (1 to 30, depending on how many total bands T you chose), and apply gain (-24 to +24 db). Determines width of band depending on total band number T you chose.
This is the plug in I am talking about.keeps crashing the software.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:17 pm

lodaxstax wrote:This is the plug in I am talking about.keeps crashing the software.
OK, thanks, I'll take a look.

lodaxstax wrote:When you apply uniform gain or amplify the bass frequencies the higher frequencies in 150-200 Hz range usually go so deep that they spoil the whole song with extreme humming and over powering all else in the song. I prefer to reduce those and increase frequencies in the range of 40-60 Hz which give a much deeper,crisper yet non irritable bass.
I think that the best tool for you would be the Equalization effect. In the "Draw Curves" mode it provides very powerful and detailed control of the frequency content. (http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/equalization.html)

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:31 pm

lodaxstax wrote:Also I noticed whenever I am using Multiband EQ, the software becomes unstable and crashes. It has never happened before with Audacity so maybe if somebody could address that.
I've had a look at the code and tested the effect.
There are a couple of "peculiarities" in the code, but I don't see anything to account for crashing. Also I've not been able to make it crash.

Are there specific steps that I should try that will reliably produce a crash?

lodaxstax

Post by lodaxstax » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:35 pm

steve wrote:
lodaxstax wrote:Also I noticed whenever I am using Multiband EQ, the software becomes unstable and crashes. It has never happened before with Audacity so maybe if somebody could address that.
I've had a look at the code and tested the effect.
There are a couple of "peculiarities" in the code, but I don't see anything to account for crashing. Also I've not been able to make it crash.

Are there specific steps that I should try that will reliably produce a crash?
I don't know that. but I have observed it crashing when I am using the above plug-in. I keep shuffling between equalization and multiband EQ. the software shows error and closes when I am working on the latter. It has never occurred before. Yes earlier I was using earlier version of Audacity and didn't have Multiband EQ so I am guessing it's got to do with it.