Two tracks: simultaneous listen and record

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.
Barrie
Operating System: Please select

Two tracks: simultaneous listen and record

Post by Barrie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:22 pm

I am a new user and this is what I want to do. I am practicing simultaneous translation. To do this I must listen to one track while recording another. I have tried opening two Audacity windows, one for the audio and the other for recording but, every time I go to record, the audio on the other window shuts off. I have checked "Play other track while recording new one" but that does not work and is perhaps not relevant to what I want to do. Can someone please help me to sort this out?
Last edited by Barrie on Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alatham
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Two tracks: simultaneous listen and record

Post by alatham » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:31 pm

First off, there's no reason to add an empty track to Audacity when doing this. As soon as you click record, Audacity will create a new track to record to. It's impossible to record over a piece of audio using Audacity.

If everything is set up right, all you should need to do is import the track you want to translate, put on some headphones, set up the mic, and press record. You should hear the track in Audacity playing and you should be recording your own voice isolated from it.

The tough part is setting everything up right. In Audacity's Edit -> Preferences -> Audio I/O menu, set the Recording source to whatever your mic is plugged into, set the Playback device to whatever your speakers are plugged into, make sure "Software Playthrough" is OFF, and "Play other tracks..." is ON.

It seems like you've already got all that right. There's a small chance that your sound card doesn't support Full Duplex recording (aka simultaneous listen and record), what kind of device do you have listed in the Playback device menu?

I don't know if anyone even sells cards like that anymore, so I doubt that's your problem.

One more thing, you can listen to audio using Audacity without recording, right?

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:30 pm

Thank you so much for getting into this with me. All help is very much appreciated. I should emphasize that I am trying to listen and talk at the same time. I now realize that I may have been saying "track" when I meant "window." I have edited my initial message to make it clearer. If I try to do the whole thing in one window, the mutually exclusive buttons on the control bar prevent simultaneous audio and record.

In preferences, the playback device is set to Sigma Tel High Definition, which comes as part of my Intel relatively recent motherboard and gives good output. If I select Microsoft Mapper Sound Mapper - Output I seem to get the same result. As my mike is plugged into a USB port that is selected in the Device box (and works fine). I have played with Stereo versus Mono but have settled for Mono as that is really all I need for the recording and it takes less window space.

SAJ

Post by SAJ » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:07 pm

Pardon me if I have misunderstood you, but when you say "mutually exclusive buttons" it makes me wonder if you are trying to import the original and record your translation at the same time. You need two steps. First, use Project->Import Audio to copy the original to track 1 in Audacity (play it back to be sure you captured it OK). Second (with Preferences set to play other tracks while recording a new one), click the red button to record your translation on track 2 (which opens automatically) while listening to track 1 on headphones. To record another pass at translation, just delete Track 2 and repeat the second step. You do all this in a single Audacity window.

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:45 pm

Excellent! That works. I just needed to use the Project drop-down rather than just opening the audio file. Thank you so much.

cratos

Post by cratos » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:03 pm

My problem is audacity records my instrumental as well. I'm using headphones and running it through my mixer and sound card.Everything's fine except it records my first track instead of my vocals when i'm listening to it.Someone..

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:02 pm

cratos wrote:My problem is audacity records my instrumental as well. I'm using headphones and running it through my mixer and sound card.Everything's fine except it records my first track instead of my vocals when i'm listening to it.Someone..
It would be better to start a new topic rather than add your question on the end of discussion that ended two years ago.
Please start a new topic and include a full description of your set-up. We can't see your system, so we can only work with what you tell us.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

rk99

Post by rk99 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:57 pm

I was also hoping to use Audacity for practising simultaneous interpretation, so thanks for these instructions. I got it to work, and it's great that you can export a final recording with the source audio on one side (eg. Left) of the stereo channel and the interpretation audio on the other side (eg. Right). This is very handy for checking one's work afterwards.

I have a further question: often the source audio is actually a file (streaming or downloaded) with video too. In such cases, would it still be possible to record source audio and interpretation audio simultaneously? That would require Audacity to "extract" the audio from the AV file while simultaneously recording the interpretation...

Thanks for any and all answers!