About seting new volume

Help for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
rmlazzari
Operating System: Linux Mint

About seting new volume

Post by rmlazzari » Sat May 08, 2021 5:07 pm

Hello, could someone advise me on how to use the volume change? If I do "Effects" and "Amplifie", it takes a lot longer than "Effects" and "Normalize". Usually when it comes to music obtained through vinyl record players, I use "Normalize" since the grounding of this type of player is not usually as good as that of CDs. But because it is very fast, I am curious about the differences.

Do both of these commands perform the same operation? When should I use one and when should I use another?

Thank you very much.

---
I'm using:

Linux Mint MATE 1.22.2 - LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Audacity 2.2.1
I'm not sure about the release I'm using but I've installed Audacity using Application Manager which came with Linux Mint

Could it be important too: my PC is a HP 1000 Notebook with Intel I3 and 4GB RAM. If i've missed something, please ask me.

Thank you.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: About seting new volume

Post by steve » Sat May 08, 2021 6:45 pm

rmlazzari wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:07 pm
If I do "Effects" and "Amplifie", it takes a lot longer than "Effects" and "Normalize".
That's surprising. For me, Normalize takes longer than Amplify, which is what I would expect because (by default) Normalize does DC offset correction as well as amplifying.
rmlazzari wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:07 pm
Do both of these commands perform the same operation? When should I use one and when should I use another?
There's a detailed comparison of these two effects here: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/amp ... alize.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Sun May 09, 2021 10:28 am

I just ran some speed tests on a one hour stereo chirp.

For me Normalize is always a little slower than Amplify

1) No DC removal and joint channel normalization
Amplify 24 secs v. Normalize 29 secs

2) DC removal and joint channel normalization
Amplify 28 secs v. Normalize 32 secs

1) No DC removal and independent channel normalization
Amplify 25 secs v. Normalize 34 secs

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

rmlazzari
Operating System: Linux Mint

Post by rmlazzari » Sun May 09, 2021 8:22 pm

waxcylinder and steve, you're right: I've checked and actually "Amplify" is a bit faster than "Normalize".

As recommend in the manual, I will use the "Normalize" command only when there is DC offset and even then only with the "Normalize stereo channels independently" option unchecked.

Thank you.