Saving Macro Exports in 3.0.2rc01

Feedback and bug reports for Audacity 3.0.3 alpha
Forum rules
This forum is only for feedback and bug reports for the specified version of Audacity.

All bug reports must include the following information:
  • Exact version number of Audacity
  • Operating system version
  • Brief description of the problem
  • Detailed, step by step instructions for how to reproduce the problem
Bug reports that do not include the above information will be deleted

Additional information and / or screenshots should be included as necessary to adequately describe the problem.
waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saving Macro Exports in 3.0.2rc01

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:05 am

FL Coast,

if you really want "the old ways" there is a simple workaround of just visiting Directories Preferences before running the Macro and setting the Macros output directory to be the directory that is holding their audio files to be processed.

What I would do if I were using Macros to process files would be to open two Windows Explorer windows (Finder on Mac) one with the macro-output location and the other being where I really want the files to end up thereby making it very easy to copy or move the files across. And I'd probably do this prior to running the Macro as I could then observe the macro-output folder filling up as the Macro progresses).

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:32 am

Here's a Nyquist plug-in that emulates the old behaviour.
This plug-in requires Audacity 3.0.0.
It may need to be modified for the next version of Audacity.
(Installation instructions for Nyquist plug-ins can be found by following the links here: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/cus ... l#plug-ins
Don't forget to enable the effect after installing it ;))
LegacyMacroOutputFolder.ny
(997 Bytes) Downloaded 37 times
To use the plug-in, add it as the first command in your macro, like this:

legacymacro.png
legacymacro.png (19.02 KiB) Viewed 785 times
It searches for the last file imported (which must be the file that the macro will process), and sets the macro output folder for that directory.
This will slightly increase the time to run the macro - more so if the "Recent files" list does not have many entries.

Test carefully before using this plug-in on anything important - I have only tested on Linux.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

billw58
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by billw58 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:44 pm

Nice! I see it works when applying a macro to files. It also handles the situation when the user selects files from different directories - a macro-output folder is created in each directory.

-- Bill

FL Coast

Post by FL Coast » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:19 pm

steve wrote: Here's a Nyquist plug-in that emulates the old behaviour.
I know the response to some (if not all) of this is a little late, but I did not want to leave your questions unanswered.

Thanks Steve, You nailed it I installed this in 3.0.2rc01 and it works exactly like the default did in previous versions. Version 3.0.0 already defaulted to this behavior. It was 3.0.2rc01 where the behavior changed.

Thank You for your patience, hard work, and the WANT to solve my problem. It is more than appreciated.

Wayne
Last edited by FL Coast on Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:35 pm

FL Coast wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:19 pm
I know the response to some (if not all) of this is a little late, but I did not want to leave your questions unanswered.
Thanks for all the detail. I appreciate that although the change in "macro-output" was not a huge big deal for you, it is less convenient than previously.

What I was personally hoping for was an "option" for users to select the location of the "macro-output" folder, and if that option is not used, then the old behaviour would be used ("macro-output" folder goes into the same directory as the file being imported). That would have been the best of both worlds, but unfortunately is not what we got.
FL Coast wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:19 pm
You nailed it I installed this in 3.0.2rc01 and it works exactly like the default did in previous versions.
Super :D
Please note that this plug-in may need to be updated with the next Audacity release. I don't know for sure if it will, so this is just a heads up that it may. Feel free to post again if you need an update.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

twj815

Post by twj815 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:39 pm

This plugin does exactly what I need.

I record audiobooks. A folder is created for each audiobook which is where all files related to that audiobook are located. In each audiobook's folder is another folder called "Completed wav." This folder contains every audio file of the audiobook in wav format, fully mastered to audiobook specs. Once the book is finished, I run the program 2nd Opinion which checks each file to make sure that all specs are met, including specs that ACX Check doesn't check. Once I am sure that everything is correct, I run the mp3 conversion macro. The macro-output folder is added to the completed wav folder so that I can easily find the mp3 files for easy uploading.

When I ran the mp3 macro the first time in 3.0.2re01, I was surprised that the macro-output folder was not where I expected. A Windows search showed me where it was which allowed me to move the folder to where I need to keep it. This extra step felt like extra work that the macro was previously doing for me. In my situation, I can't imagine a scenario where I would want the macro-output folder placed in Documents > Audacity.

This plugin keeps the macro-output in the correct folder for my workflow which I appreciate.

Thank you!