missing audio data block files

Hello. I am using Windows 10 and Audacity 2.4.2.

I had been working on an _aup file over the past few days (saving without a problem). I closed it today, and then reopened a couple of minutes later and received a notification that that data project files could not be found. I came across this problem before, so open the file with text, and renamed according to projnme. Now I am receiving notification that there are missing audio data block files but I can see my files.

HELP please. I have spent hours editing this podcast and it’s due tomorrow ! Yikes. THANK YOU!!!

You cannot rename an audacity project file outside of Audacity. Based on what you are saying there is a small chance that you may be able to recover the project by renaming it back.

An Audacity project consists of hundreds, perhaps thousands of little tiny .au files that contain data. These are scattered deliberately haphazardly within a project directory we will call project_data. There is another file project.aup which is kind of a text file that contains a pointer to all of the little data files. These two files must have the same name basis, which name is also contained within project.aup file itself. If you rename parts of the project or move things around, you can destroy the whole thing. See Structure of an Audacity project

If you are on Windows, file extensions such as .aup are hidden by default, which further confuses the issue. To see file extensions, in File Manager, you can click on the View tab, then check the box “File Name Extensions”.

Audacity projects should not be used as a repository for audio data. You should be saving all of your original audio and production work as .WAV files if they are important.

I hope this helps. :smiley: