Total Neophyte Needs Help Getting Started Recording my Tracks for an Audiobook

Help for Audacity on macOS.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Total Neophyte Needs Help Getting Started Recording my Tracks for an Audiobook

Post by kozikowski » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:27 pm

exactly what kind of cable I'd have to purchase to tether them together.
It was in the box.

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 11.19.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 11.19.13 AM.png (66.88 KiB) Viewed 187 times

You're getting really close to me not being able to help. The instructions go on to describe—in detail—what to do if you get an incoming call while you're listening to the headphones.

Desperation Method says you should connect your supplied Shure MV5 microphone and see if you can make a recording. No headphones.

Koz

canfish
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Re: Total Neophyte Needs Help Getting Started Recording my Tracks for an Audiobook

Post by canfish » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:30 am

I bought a mini-mini cable to go between my headset and the mic as a possible solution to the delay I was experiencing. Now I can't get back to even recording at all. I'm wondering if it's possible to get on the phone with someone who might be able to talk me through my set up--forgetting about Zoom for now--just being able to record and hear simultaneously through my headphones. I'm about to start teaching right now, but I wonder if anyone could possibly help me over the phone Friday or Saturday morning. I don't know if any of you do that or if you can recommend someone who can. thanks!

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:09 am

I don't know if any of you do that or if you can recommend someone who can.
Neither one. Audacity doesn't have a Help Desk. Just a handful of volunteers who drop into the forum as time permits. The forum format is "users helping each other." No classes or personal help. Others may post.

You seem to be the poster child for hiring a studio, walk in with the book, and walk out with finished sound files. The only reason that wouldn't work with you is the theatrical involvement of the production company.

Where is the production company? Do they have a voice studio? That would solve a ton of problems.

You need A Producer. That's one of the three professionals you're trying to be. Their most important job is write checks, but their other job is arrange everything, make sure it's all working, and then wait in the car until you and the recording engineer (the other two professionals) get done.

Without being too much of a Debbie Downer, we haven't recorded any product yet. We're still at the Amazon/FedEx stage. How long is the book?

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 am

There is another option I keep forgetting about because it doesn't involve Audacity (that I know of).

ACX has professional announcer representation and you can hire a Producer/Announcer.

https://www.acx.com/help/authors/200484540

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:54 am

That radio broadcast I shot...

The Producer was the announcer's wife. "The station has time for the interview on Thursday. What's the chance we can get the soundproofed Main Conference Room for two hours on Thursday? ... OK. ... So if I can get the movie co-ord meeting to move to another room, you're good? ... Good, thanks.

Koz? What are you doing on Thursday"

I was the recording engineer. "I need you to give me a voice check, Can you hear the radio station OK?"

The announcer was being interviewed by a radio station in goodness knows where. "Hello from Los Angeles... Yes... We got two hours. We're almost all set up."

Koz

canfish

Post by canfish » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:11 am

Hey, I found the original cable that came with my headphones and I can now plug them into my mic and hear myself recording in real time directly, no lag. So I can record and hear myself. I'll come back here and let you know what happens when I meet with my audio partner on Sunday. We'll see if she knows what she's doing in terms of integrating zoom as a way to hear each other.

canfish

Post by canfish » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:12 pm

just wanted to say that we had our test recording session and it all worked easily and readily! I had my headphones plugged directly into the mic and could hear myself without delay. I got on Zoom with Becky, who's performing all the other voices, and I didn't need to look at her, but I could hear going right into my ears along with my own voice. We did a test recording which she's sending to her engineers to assess in terms of levels and the rest--but I actually think there's no problem with the interface, using the equipment I already had.

thanks for your help--but you skepticism about interfacing with Zoom wasn't warranted. It's not part of what we 're recording at all, but I could hear her just fine. It was actually quite fun.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:53 am

she's sending to her engineers to assess in terms of levels and the rest
So it's not a go yet.
you skepticism about interfacing with Zoom wasn't warranted.
Let me read this back to you. We proved you need the services of the reputable audiobook production company, https://proaudiovoices.com/about-us/ ProAudio voices to get this to work. It's not final yet, nor has it passed ACX quality control.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:21 pm

Post back how it goes. Some of or other posters may be interested in the experience.

How did Becky say you should deal with mistakes and fluffs?

Koz

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:27 pm

canfish wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:59 am
I'm working with a reputable audiobook production company, https://proaudiovoices.com/about-us/ ProAudio voices.
I've never heard of them, so I looked them up.

It seems that the founder, Becky Parker Geist, is also the founder of BAIPA (Bay Area Independent Publishers Association), who have an "About BAIPA" video on YouTube with 257 views since April 2017.

I was unable to find where ProAudio voices publish their audiobooks, but I did notice a review on the ProAudio voices website from "Heidi Joulios (author) Color My Coral". This book is available on Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Color-My-Coral ... 1936528029), but the idea of making an audiobook out of a coloring book looks highly unlikely.

ProAudio voices also has a facebook page with 321 followers and 300 likes.

I was able to find only one audiobook by Becky Parker Geist:
book.png
book.png (48.92 KiB) Viewed 97 times

Regardless of what Becky Parker Geist might claim, it is not possible to achieve professional audiobook quality from Zoom (or other voip).
Here we can hear a short sample from the ProAudio voices podcast. I think that it is immediately obvious that the sound quality is not good enough for a professional audiobook.
interview.wav
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that Becky Parker Geist is a VO artist with several grand and fairly professional looking websites.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)