Plug in database in audacity PLUS how to...

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
T.M.A.
Operating System: Please select

Plug in database in audacity PLUS how to...

Post by T.M.A. » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:37 pm

So I'm recording two guitar tracks, acoustic guitar, simultaneously:

a mic'd guitar
and a DI

I'd like to start messing around with re-amping and using plugins on the DI guitar track so i can vary up the mix a bit.

Is there a database where I could download different plugins/ acoustic/ guitar effects?

For some reason this step seems difficult to me -Analog guy...

-T

DVDdoug
Forum Crew
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Plug in database in audacity PLUS how to...

Post by DVDdoug » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:32 pm

There are several built-in effects. The three most commonly used effects compression (and limiting), equalization, and reverb (and delay) and there are built-in versions of these.

There are some optional Audacity/Nyquist effects here. You'll have to look through them to see which ones you might want to use. The Nyquist plug-ins are specifically designed for Audacity. I haven't looked through the list to see if there is anything that you might want to use specifically for the guitar but there are some "saturation" effects that might be useful.

Instructions for installing plug-ins.

Beyond that, you can just search for VST plug-ins. Amp/cabinet "sims" (simulators) are popular for DI guitar.

VST is a "standard" but it's apparently not that standardized because many VSTs don't support Audacity. And since Audacity is a 32-bit application only 32-bit VSTs work. With most commercial VSTs the developer publishes a list so supported "host applications", but Audacity is rarely officially supported (although it may work). Presumably that's because people who use Audacity don't want to pay for plug-ins. With free VSTs it's usually just hit-or-miss. These guys usually don't have the budget to test, debug, and support, for all of the different hosts.

T.M.A.

Post by T.M.A. » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:30 am

DVDdoug wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:32 pm
There are several built-in effects. The three most commonly used effects compression (and limiting), equalization, and reverb (and delay) and there are built-in versions of these.

There are some optional Audacity/Nyquist effects here. You'll have to look through them to see which ones you might want to use. The Nyquist plug-ins are specifically designed for Audacity. I haven't looked through the list to see if there is anything that you might want to use specifically for the guitar but there are some "saturation" effects that might be useful.

Instructions for installing plug-ins.

Beyond that, you can just search for VST plug-ins. Amp/cabinet "sims" (simulators) are popular for DI guitar.

VST is a "standard" but it's apparently not that standardized because many VSTs don't support Audacity. And since Audacity is a 32-bit application only 32-bit VSTs work. With most commercial VSTs the developer publishes a list so supported "host applications", but Audacity is rarely officially supported (although it may work). Presumably that's because people who use Audacity don't want to pay for plug-ins. With free VSTs it's usually just hit-or-miss. These guys usually don't have the budget to test, debug, and support, for all of the different hosts.
You ROCK, DVD DOUG!

Thank you!!

Yeah -I actually really like some of the onboard effects in Audacity. The compression is great and so is the reverb and the echo -I use them all the time!!

I think the Nyquist stuff is what I need to look into next.

Thank you for the suggestions and I'm gonna get on it!

Thanks again!

-T

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Trebor » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:51 am

Acon Multiply is a good free effect for acoustic guitars ...
https://youtu.be/T3mbSMW07yQ?t=116
https://youtu.be/0jUU9m_aR2c?t=76
The 32-bit version works in Audacity on Windows.

T.M.A.

Post by T.M.A. » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:24 am

Trebor wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:51 am
Acon Multiply is a good free effect for acoustic guitars ...
https://youtu.be/T3mbSMW07yQ?t=116
https://youtu.be/0jUU9m_aR2c?t=76
The 32-bit version works in Audacity on Windows.
Sweet!

Will check out ASAP!

Thank you!

-T

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Trebor » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:44 pm

I just tried the latest version of Acon multiply (1.2.1) in Audacity on Windows & there is a slight problem,
any adjustments to its equalizer are only applied after playback is stopped & restarted :(

The other controls work in real-time, & you can still quickly step through the presets while the track is playing ...

acon digital multiply 1-2-1.gif
acon digital multiply 1-2-1.gif (867.02 KiB) Viewed 102 times