Arc-DarK theme (Arc-Dark with DarK icons)

User-contributed artwork and graphics.
Forum rules
ImageUser-contributed graphics, logos, themes, buttons, icons and other artwork relating to Audacity.
Images and suggestions posted here are primarily for fun. Audacity currently has few options for customising the appearance, but users may still like to share their vision of Audacity in the future.
Please read the READ ME post for this board before posting here.
mischamajskij
Operating System: Linux Debian

Re: Arc-DarK theme (Arc-Dark with DarK icons)

Post by mischamajskij » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:35 pm

steve wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:10 am
I'm not generally a fan of dark themes
I happen to like dark themes, but I'd have to use a dark theme even if I didn't, because of eye strain...
(this forum skin is killing me btw) :P

Anyway, it would be great to have a light version of this theme (based on Arc)... I think it would make an excellent default theme.
I'll be very busy from now on, so I don't think I'll manage to do that... (but, never say never)

However, I'm opening a new thread where I'll share my own commented version of ImageCache.htm, containing all I know about the color palette, so that users can share their knowledge about that and make theming easier for everyone.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm

mischamajskij wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:35 pm
However, I'm opening a new thread where I'll share my own commented version of ImageCache.htm, containing all I know about the color palette, so that users can share their knowledge about that and make theming easier for everyone.
That'd be terrific.
mischamajskij wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:52 pm
Comments/requests welcome
One of the nicest Audacity themes I've seen.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

tintwotin
Operating System: Please select

Post by tintwotin » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:34 am

mischamajskij wrote:
Maybe this, ImageCache.htm, could be included in the Audacity folder containing the ImageCache.png file, so users can open this directly?

mischamajskij

Post by mischamajskij » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:25 am

steve wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm
Thank you so much Steve! :oops:

So, this should be the last version.

Fixes:
  • Roundedness of all small buttons
  • Some colors in the Label track, which also improves contrast in midi voices buttons (buttons themselves are not themable)
Attachments
ImageCache.png
ImageCache.png (80.58 KiB) Viewed 328 times
ArcDark_Audacity_by_mischamajskij_3_screenshot.png
ArcDark_Audacity_by_mischamajskij_3_screenshot.png (241.21 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Last edited by mischamajskij on Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:38 am

I hope you don't mind mischamajskij , I forwarded your screenshot for the Audacity developers to have a look at. It has received very positive comments.

Because themes inside Audacity exist as "code", they are under the same license as the rest of the code, which is "GPL v2 (or later)". I'm not an expert on licensing, so I'm not sure if "CC-by-SA 4.0" is completely compatible with GPL v2 - I don't think it is. It's my understanding that everything shipped in the Audacity code has to be compatible with GPL.
If the developers wanted to use your theme, would you be willing to extend the licensing terms to allow it to be used in GPL v2 software? (You retain the "copyright" on the theme regardless of the license terms).

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:39 am

steve wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 pm
mischamajskij wrote:
Comments/requests welcome
So any chance of getting this as an official released Audacity theme as part of the app ?

I don't normally like dark themes - but I do rather like this one 8-)

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

mischamajskij

Post by mischamajskij » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:30 pm

steve wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:38 am
I hope you don't mind mischamajskij , I forwarded your screenshot for the Audacity developers to have a look at. It has received very positive comments.

Because themes inside Audacity exist as "code", they are under the same license as the rest of the code, which is "GPL v2 (or later)". I'm not an expert on licensing, so I'm not sure if "CC-by-SA 4.0" is completely compatible with GPL v2 - I don't think it is. It's my understanding that everything shipped in the Audacity code has to be compatible with GPL.
If the developers wanted to use your theme, would you be willing to extend the licensing terms to allow it to be used in GPL v2 software? (You retain the "copyright" on the theme regardless of the license terms).
:o :o :o Well what to say, I'm so happy with this!

What was worrying me was that DarK icons are released under CC-BY-SA, which enforces me to release my derivative work under the same license.
However, I've done a little research and it turns out that CC-BY-SA 4.0 is one-way compatible with GPLv3 since 2015.
Please have a look at this page.
The key passage is the following IMO:
Put simply this means you now have permission to adapt another licensor’s work under CC BY-SA 4.0 and release your contributions to the adaptation under GPLv3 (while the adaptation relies on both licenses, a reuser of the combined and remixed work need only look to the conditions of GPLv3 to satisfy the attribution and ShareAlike conditions of BY-SA 4.0).
I think this means that if I put my own contributions under GPLv3, the ImageCache.png file "relies on both licenses", but the Audacity team, as a "reuser of the combined and remixed work", can release it under GPLv3.
I hope I'm right in assuming this, please verify carefully.

In any case, I'm glad to license my own contributions under GPLv3.
Here's the file with updated license terms.
Attachments
ImageCache.png
ImageCache.png (80.21 KiB) Viewed 314 times

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:56 pm

mischamajskij wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:30 pm
Please have a look at this page.
That looks very good news.

To be clear, I'm not saying that the theme "will" be used in Audacity. I'm just checking that there's no obstacles to it being used (other than persuading a developer to convert it from the .png to a built-in theme). Personally I think it would be a very nice addition to Audacity :)

mischamajskij

Post by mischamajskij » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:02 pm

Of course, I know that... fingers crossed!

TBH, I'm still a bit unsatisfied about the appearance if the "clock wallpaper" on sync-locked selection.
It's a bit intrusive and I would have trouble working on the soundwave becaus it makes its boundary confused.
I think I can fix it by making it less contrasted and maybe introducing a bit of tint in the transparent part...

mischamajskij

Post by mischamajskij » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:02 pm

So, latest fixes:
  • "clock" wallpaper in sync-locked track less obtrusive
  • arrow of playing region in ruler made darker
Here it is...
Attachments
ImageCache.png
ImageCache.png (80.21 KiB) Viewed 298 times