Hard Limiter

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Re: Hard Limiter

Post by kozikowski » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:59 am

I may be able to remember the earlier process for audiobook mastering. There was one. It was a little more involved, but it did work. It was the model for the current one.

There was one before that, too, but it qualifies as an instrument of torture by the State of California. Not recommended.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:11 am

Oh. I remember this. You had to import Low Rolloff for Speech custom curve and settings into Effect > Equalization and then be careful how you used it. That's the rumble filter needed because so many home microphones have low pitch noise and distortion.

Attached LF_rolloff_for_speech.xml.zip

LF_rolloff_for_speech.xml.zip
(326 Bytes) Downloaded 9 times

Unzip it to the .xml file and install it in Effect > Equalization. I'll remember how to do that any minute now.

You sure you can't borrow a more modern computer for a while.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:22 am

Effect > Equalization > Manage > Import: point it to the .xml file > OK.

And then run it. I don't remember the magic for that, but when you get it installed and running, it should look like this.

Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 5.17.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 5.17.29 PM.png (73.25 KiB) Viewed 153 times

If you have a very deep, rumbly announcing voice, Low Rolloff may take a little of the gutsiness out of it, but it's worth it because of everything else it does.

I need to go look for an older machine to recall all the steps.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:41 am

You need to download and install RMS Normalize. The older Audacity didn't have a convenient way to set RMS (loudness).

rms-normalize.ny
(810 Bytes) Downloaded 13 times

I know this looks like a college class in effects and software management, but when you get it done, it's three steps to go from raw reading to audiobook submission—assuming you read in a quiet, echo-free room and don't make any mistakes.

All that and it sounds exactly like you with no noticeable distortion.

Effect > Equalization: Low Rolloff, length about 5000 > OK.
Effect > RMS Normalize: -20dB > OK.
Effect > Soft Limiter: -3.5dB and I don't remember the other settings, but they were default.

That's it. I announced into a Zoom stand-alone sound recorder, cut it to length, applied those three tools and made it past the ACX technical requirements for audiobooks—according to ACX. I submitted it. That was back when they allowed you to do that.

That wasn't high enough, so I had to add one roll of "bathroom tissue" to the stack to get it up to mouth level.

Koz

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:10 pm

D.Lio333 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:34 am
I was going to get latest, but it says its not supported by windows 7.
Audacity 2.4.2 "probably" does work on Windows 7. We have multiple reports saying that it does, but Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. We do not officially support obsolete operating systems, we do not test on Windows 7, and if there are any issues that only occur on Windows 7 they will probably not be fixed unless they are also relevant to supported operating systems.

Obviously it would be best to upgrade your operating system as soon as possible, but if you are stuck for now with Windows 7, you could try Audacity 2.4.2 and if it does not work for you, revert back to an earlier version. Most of the old releases are available here: https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-old.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)