Audacity Logo Redesign

User-contributed artwork and graphics.
Forum rules
ImageUser-contributed graphics, logos, themes, buttons, icons and other artwork relating to Audacity.
Images and suggestions posted here are primarily for fun. Audacity currently has few options for customising the appearance, but users may still like to share their vision of Audacity in the future.
Please read the READ ME post for this board before posting here.
morrow
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Re: Audacity Logo Redesign

Post by morrow » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:22 pm

Yes Victor I think that is exactly right. The first step could be a survey that we post on the forum maybe under:

viewforum.php?f=50

I'm going to move this conversation over there as well.

and perhaps we could post the survey on the audacity quality mailing list:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/audaci ... ty-quality

I think the main goals for this survey would be to get a sense of what the typical users are to then be able to make personas for these users.

Then once we have personas we could then figure out what the biggest pain points are for them using audacity.

That sound right to you?

victorwestmann
Operating System: macOS 10.14 Mojave

Post by victorwestmann » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:38 am

Just sent you a message in private. ;-)

victorwestmann

Post by victorwestmann » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:03 am

Hi morrow, I took the initiative to try to scratch a small itch I have with Audacity.

The itch I currently have is that the icon is way too dark and does not have a white stroke around the icon so it is really hard to distinguish Audacity icon on the taskbar.

So I took the initiative to edit the stroke white, with Affinity Designer 1.8.3 and to convert it to an icon (with MULTIPLE sizes) using Axialis IconWorkshop 6.9.1.0.

I notice that this icon, if I did everything correctly, could be used in the place of the original app of the application, and/or the website icon (favicon).

Please check the "new" icon in https://mega.nz/folder/BmJjgC4R#pMtcLF-wrlcVSXKnhPkXxQ and let me know of your thoughts.
Everyone is open to criticize/comment on this in order to improve it.

Thanks,
Victor

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:33 am

victorwestmann wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:03 am
So I took the initiative to edit the stroke white, with Affinity Designer 1.8.3 and to convert it to an icon (with MULTIPLE sizes) using Axialis IconWorkshop 6.9.1.0.
You have based your icon on Audacity's old logo.
The old logo was updated a few years ago. The current logo is available in the Audacity source code here: https://github.com/audacity/audacity/tree/master/images
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

victorwestmann

Post by victorwestmann » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi steve, sorry about this.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, as always! ;-)

Thanks
Victor
steve wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:33 am
victorwestmann wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:03 am
You have based your icon on Audacity's old logo.
The old logo was updated a few years ago. The current logo is available in the Audacity source code here: https://github.com/audacity/audacity/tree/master/images

victorwestmann

Post by victorwestmann » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:17 am

There are also 2 options to change the favicon of the forum/audacity wesite. If possible, of course.

Let me know if this is possible, if this is desired, and if this looks good. I can try to replicate this for the dektop app icon as well.

Please see the images attached.
transparent audacity icon.png
transparent audacity icon.png (950.81 KiB) Viewed 505 times
audacity white border.png
audacity white border.png (945.85 KiB) Viewed 505 times

Thanks,
Victor

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:24 am

Are you suggesting using your "Audacity Icon Windows.ico" as a replacement favicon for the forum?
If so, are you suggesting the replacement because you think "Audacity Icon Windows.ico" looks better than the forum's current icon?
If so, in which browsers, with what themes, on which platforms does it look better?

These screenshots show the current favicon, and "Audacity Icon Windows.ico" in Firefox 77.0.1 with the default theme, then the dark theme:
light.png
light.png (5.91 KiB) Viewed 503 times
dark.png
dark.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 503 times
I think "Audacity Icon Windows.ico" looks better than the current favicon in the light theme, but the white line around the edge looks rather ugly in the dark theme. What do you think?

Because the forum runs on phpBB, changing the favicon is a bit different from how it is done on a static HTML page, but yes we can change the forum's favicon if we have an alternative that we agree is an improvement. It's a bit tricky because it involves editing the forum's theme template, so you'll need to convince me that it's worth the effort ;)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

victorwestmann

Post by victorwestmann » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:03 pm

Hi steve, thank you so much for taking the time to look at this so closely.

Damn! I think you are right! hehe. It does look slightly better on a light theme... but yes... it looks ugly on a dark theme.
I will do more tests to see if there's a way to make it look nicer both on a light AND dark theme.

I don't want to give you more work than you already have. If I am able to achieve a good result, and if you and everybody else on the project agrees, we can change in the website favicon?

To be really honest I am just trying to make an icon that look good on a dark taskbar on a Windows 10 machine. Let's see if I am able to achieve this or not!

Fingers crossed. Thank you again for your time and patience on this. Appreciate it.

Victor

morrow
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by morrow » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:02 pm

Screen-Shot-2020-06-11-at-2.39.56-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2020-06-11-at-2.39.56-PM.png (15.64 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Hi Victor, Not sure if it is any better but maybe trying a circle? I tried to do a pixel perfect one on the right.

victorwestmann

Post by victorwestmann » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:41 pm

Hi Morrow, that looks quite nice!

Are we going to use an .ico file for the favicon of the forum, website and possibly the application? Or just a PNG file for the website/forum?
What do you suggest? How did you come to the images you are showing here?

Thanks!
Victor