Small mouse pointer on Windows 10

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Small mouse pointer on Windows 10

Post by Gale Andrews » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:31 pm

cgaupp wrote:I do love using Audacity, it's a fabulous tool, but it would be awesome if I could make full use of what is a very nice screen. Has there been any further consideration to addressing this issue?
Audacity is a free to use project and all the developers are volunteers.

So unfortunately, no.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

voicebabe1

Post by voicebabe1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:02 pm

I have the same issue. The multi-tool cursors are miniscule. I am using Audacity 2.2.2 on Windows 10. Laptop has 13" screen and is connected to a 19" monitor. Using the larger monitor does not help me see the multi-tool cursors. The size of the arrow cursor is just fine. The multi-tool cursors get a little larger if I change screen resolution from 3200x1800 (recommended) to 1280x1024. The downside, of course, is a reduction in what I can see on the screen. I don't see a place to change dpi. BTW, cursor size was also an issue with the previous version of Audacity. Do you have any ideas about what I can try? Should I use a larger monitor? a larger laptop?
I love Audacity, but the tiny cursors are very frustrating.
Thanks.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:59 pm

We are aware that there are problems with high dpi monitors. Audacity is not dpi aware, and until it is there will be no solution to this problem.
We welcome contributions from software developers to improve Audacity.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

LanceNY

Post by LanceNY » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello,

I see it has been years and no improvement in this area. Not sure why the issue has apparently gotten worse for me in the last year. But I have the same issues as the others.

My basic specs:
Workstation with a 4k monitor (main monitor running audacity), on a Windows 10 OS.

Like the others, the program is great, love it. But simply can not see the thin and small I-beam cursor when it is in the timeline. I have tried the compatibility DPI options, in just about all combinations. The only results made various items worse, not better.

I tried using the multi tool option instead, which does seem to help a small amount, mostly because it makes the color of the timeline lighter, hence easier to see the I-Beam.

So I went into preferences to see about changing the color of the timelines, and could only find the few pre-fab interface settings. The high contrast, while butt ugly, makes it easier to see. As does the Dark setting.

The cursor icon is still terribly small, which is still an issue. Is there no way to get this remedied in Windows 10?

Thank you for your reply, in advance.

Best,
Lance