Need Help Using Audacity with Wikoo Tape To MP3 Converter

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
solgar1970
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Need Help Using Audacity with Wikoo Tape To MP3 Converte

Post by solgar1970 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:52 am

Thanks for the list.... Ugh, this whole thing is getting a bit too technologically involved for me. I don't even understand what you're linking to. MIDI>> ?? I have no idea what this is. I can't change the proposed settings in the Audacity software, it won't let me select any other option from the drop-down menus in Audacity. There is only that one option displayed in my screenshot.

This Wikoo converter device came with no instructions. All I had to go from was a link to the Audacity website to download the latest software for Audacity, and then was told by the Wikoo converter seller on Amazon to just download this so-called "Lame" driver.... I followed a link and downloaded and installed what I thought was this Lame driver. I installed this driver after installing the latest version of Audacity. Nothing happened after I installed it, so I have no idea if it even installed. All I know is that I am completely unable to change the settings referred to above. I have no idea clue to find these "drivers", where to download them,or how to install them for my MacBook Air to get it to work with Audacity. I thought that after installing the Audacity software, that all I needed to do was to install something called a "LAME" driver. I followed a link on Amazon to download this "Lame" driver. I THOUGHT I had it installed, but since I got no indication of install completion, I have no idea if it even installed. I could really use this to be simplified.
Last edited by solgar1970 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Post by Trebor » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:20 am

solgar1970 wrote:... was told by the Wikoo converter seller on Amazon to just download this so-called "Lame" driver...
Installing the "LAME" thing, (which is an MP3 encoder, not a driver), is not necessary to record from the cassette to Audacity.
"LAME" thing is only required if you want to make MP3 format audio-files of the sound you've recorded from the cassette.
Universally-acceptable WAV format audio-files can be made without installing the LAME encoder.

The driver software is necessary for Audacity, or other software, to "see" the USB cassette device.
If you thought "LAME" was the driver software, that would explain why USB option is not appearing as a recording device.
Wikoo say they will give out a copy of the driver software ... http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic ... 30#p343530

[ I did try Googling for Wikoo website, but no joy ]

billw58
Forum Staff

Post by billw58 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:15 pm

solgar1970 wrote:I can't change the proposed settings in the Audacity software, it won't let me select any other option from the drop-down menus in Audacity.
Please go through the steps on this page in the Audacity wiki. Then tell us what happens when you go through these steps. If you get stuck at step 2 (the Mac System Preferences Sound panel doesn't see the Wikoo) then we can't help you. If the Mac won't see the device, neither will Audacity.
-- Bill

vickicnotatechie

Post by vickicnotatechie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:12 am

I am trying to use the same product, also purchased on Amazon, Wikoo Super USB Cassette Capture, and am using a Macbook Air OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. I have installed Audacity, I have selected the USB devise for sound input, have gone into the MIDI settings and selected the USB device. At first it was recording the ambient noise ( as in, the USB device was somehow not being used). I must have changed another setting because now when I try to hit record in Audacity I get an error message "Error opening sound device. Try changing the audio host, recording device,and the project sample rate." Am I missing something easy?

billw58
Forum Staff

Post by billw58 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:02 am

vickicnotatechie wrote:I am trying to use the same product, also purchased on Amazon, Wikoo Super USB Cassette Capture, and am using a Macbook Air OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. I have installed Audacity, I have selected the USB devise for sound input, have gone into the MIDI settings and selected the USB device. At first it was recording the ambient noise ( as in, the USB device was somehow not being used). I must have changed another setting because now when I try to hit record in Audacity I get an error message "Error opening sound device. Try changing the audio host, recording device,and the project sample rate." Am I missing something easy?
Please go through the steps on this page in the Audacity wiki. Then tell us what happens when you go through these steps. If you get stuck at step 2 (the Mac System Preferences Sound panel doesn't see the Wikoo) then we can't help you. If the Mac won't see the device, neither will Audacity.

Try Transport > Rescan Audio Devices, then select the USB Audio CODEC in the Device Toolbar if you get that error message again. It may be the case that the Wikoo needs to be running in order for the Mac to see it.
-- Bill

vickicnotatechie

Post by vickicnotatechie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Yes - I have gone through all the steps and the Mac does recognize the device, at least it shows up there. "USB PnP audio device" is selected for sound input. I also went through the preferences in Audacity and it says "Core Audio" is the host. For recording it says "USB PnP Audio device". I have also gone through the Audio MIDI setup in Utilities on the Macbook and USB Audio device is selected there as well. It does not give me an option to select 44110.0 Hz for the format, I can only choose 48000.0 Hz.
If the device I bought doesn't work, does Audacity have a recommended device for audio capture on cassette tapes? Just trying to save some old recordings from the 70's and 80's. Not fancy.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:02 pm

vickicnotatechie wrote:If the device I bought doesn't work, does Audacity have a recommended device for audio capture on cassette tapes? Just trying to save some old recordings from the 70's and 80's. Not fancy.
What I did when I transcribed my tapes was to use my existing (high quality) tape deck and used a USB soundcard (in my case the Edirol UA-1EX, sadly now discontinued - other similar devices are available) to deliver the digital audio to my PC via its USB cable.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

billw58
Forum Staff

Post by billw58 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:33 pm

vickicnotatechie wrote:Yes - I have gone through all the steps and the Mac does recognize the device, at least it shows up there. "USB PnP audio device" is selected for sound input. I also went through the preferences in Audacity and it says "Core Audio" is the host. For recording it says "USB PnP Audio device". I have also gone through the Audio MIDI setup in Utilities on the Macbook and USB Audio device is selected there as well. It does not give me an option to select 44110.0 Hz for the format, I can only choose 48000.0 Hz.
If the device I bought doesn't work, does Audacity have a recommended device for audio capture on cassette tapes? Just trying to save some old recordings from the 70's and 80's. Not fancy.
When you are in System Preferences / Sound / Input, and you have selected "USB PnP Audio Device", and you play a cassette in the Wikoo, does the sound meter move?

If the Wikoo will only work at 48000 Hz, set Audacity to that sample rate in Quality Preferences.
-- Bill

vickicnotatechie

Post by vickicnotatechie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:58 pm

No - the meter doesn't move, and now when I try to record it seems to go into a scary robot feedback loop. And it is not giving me any choice other then Built in microphone - I went through the steps and it is selected in System Preferences. See attached screen shot. Also in system preferences the USB device seems to be flashing on and off. Bad cable maybe? Ug, I'm ready to give up...
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 6.47.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 6.47.52 PM.png (243.15 KiB) Viewed 458 times
Last edited by steve on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Put image inline to preserve board layout

billw58
Forum Staff

Post by billw58 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:40 pm

vickicnotatechie wrote:No - the meter doesn't move
If the sound input meter in System Preferences / Sound / Input does not move when have selected the USB PnP Audio Device and you are playing a cassette in the Wikoo, then the Mac is not receiving sound from the device. If the Mac is not receiving sound from the device then Audacity won't.
Also in system preferences the USB device seems to be flashing on and off. Bad cable maybe?
Perhaps a bad cable, or a bad connection.

There is an alternative, but it will involve spending more money. This involves taking the audio out of the headphone jack on the Wikoo, running that through a USB-Audio converter, and connecting that device to your Mac.
We know the Behringer UCA202, UCA22 and UFO202 all work with Mac. You will also need a stereo mini-jack-to-RCA cable (see the first picture on this page in the manual).

-- Bill