Recording from Itunes

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
claymoreinn
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Recording from Itunes

Post by claymoreinn » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 am

I am trying to record an audio book file from iTunes. The file is very long so I don't want to listen to it while it is recording. When I turn down the volume on my macbook pro it also turns the recording level down. Is there a way to mute the sound but still record from itunes?

cyrano
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Recording from Itunes

Post by cyrano » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Plug in a headphone jack?

I'm not sure why you'd want to re-record a file that is already digital and on your computer. No way to export from iTunes because of DRM, perhaps?

claymoreinn

Post by claymoreinn » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 pm

cyrano wrote:Plug in a headphone jack?

I'm not sure why you'd want to re-record a file that is already digital and on your computer. No way to export from iTunes because of DRM, perhaps?
Exactly. I tried the headphone jack but it didn't work.

billw58
Forum Staff

Post by billw58 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 pm

How are you recording the file? Soundflower? iShowU Audio Capture?

Why not set it up to record overnight? You could use Audacity's timer record function.

-- Bill

claymoreinn

Post by claymoreinn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 pm

billw58 wrote:How are you recording the file? Soundflower? iShowU Audio Capture?

Why not set it up to record overnight? You could use Audacity's timer record function.

-- Bill
Bill, thanks for this question. It made me look into this because I didn't have any recording input/output set up. Once I installed Soundflower, it gave me an opportunity to select this as in input and output, so I was able to record this properly. Problem solved. Thank you again!