Cassette to USB recording

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
lesrail
Operating System: Please select

Cassette to USB recording

Post by lesrail » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:47 am

My operating system is Windows 10 and my Audacity version is 1.3.14-beta.

I am new to Audacity and I need to use my Clearclick Cassette to USB device to transfer existing sound tracks recorded on cassette to a digital format. I need to monitor the sound track as it is being transferred but when I use the drop-down menu to select "begin monitoring", I get a loud uncontrolled sound coming from my laptop speaker. How do I avoid this? I'm also confused in how to get the "line-in" option and not a microphone input. A basic guide to set-up for a cassette to digital format would be of great use to me - is there such a guide? All the guides that I have found thus far in the Internet deal with microphone recording which I don't need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DVDdoug
Forum Crew
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Cassette to USB recording

Post by DVDdoug » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:09 pm

Select 'USB ...something" as your Recording Device. (It probably won't show the exact name of your cassette deck.)

Here are some tutorials that should help.

BTW - You can "reply" to your own posts, or edit them rather than starting a new one every time you want to add to it or ask another related question.

lesrail
Operating System: Please select

Re: Cassette to USB recording

Post by lesrail » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:42 pm

Thanks DVDDoug for your help!