Version 2.1.3 (and 2.2.1) hangs up on "Timer Record"

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Turbofiat124
Operating System: Windows 10

Version 2.1.3 (and 2.2.1) hangs up on "Timer Record"

Post by Turbofiat124 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:52 pm

Hello. This is my first posting.

Windows 10, Audacity version 2.1.3 As the subject line implies:

So far the only problem I've encountered is when I set Audacity to record using the timer function, it records for 12 seconds them just hangs up. i have to go into task manager in order to stop the program.
Otherwise it will record manually.

One reason I installed Audacity was to record a radio program from 11 to 7 so I was testing Audacity using three minutes as a test. I tried this multiple times and every time it hangs up at 12 seconds.

Anyone ever seen this?

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Version 2.1.3 hangs up after 12 seconds on "timer record

Post by kozikowski » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Can you do it manually? Can you make the recording without the Timer?

What show are you recording for 8 hours? I record radio shows for 27 minutes or 53 minutes.

Koz

Turbofiat124

Post by Turbofiat124 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:56 pm

kozikowski wrote:Can you do it manually? Can you make the recording without the Timer?

What show are you recording for 8 hours? I record radio shows for 27 minutes or 53 minutes.

Koz
Yes manually records fine. I recorded about a 10 minute clip with no problem.

I didn't know there was a newer version. I downloaded this one maybe a couple of months ago. I'll get the newer one and see if it works better.

As far what I am wanting to use Audacity for: Sunday at the 70s on WVEK 102.7.

Mainly to listen to when traveling instead of having to constantly search for stations.

I'm too cheap to subscribe to Sirius and their programming is awful and they repeat the same songs over and over. I might subscribe if I was a truck driver.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:32 pm

2.2.1 is available for Windows from here:

http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

If you continue to have troubles, you might consider going into manual record and set your Personal Device to ring at the 8 hour mark to walk over and stop it.

If you're trying to use your computer for other services during the recording, that may be where the hangup is occurring. Audacity does not play well with others. You lose your computer for 8 hours.

Note as your recordings get longer, saving them becomes more of an adventure. Perfect Quality but long WAV files start running into format troubles. Different parts of the system fail past 2GB and 4GB WAV files.

If you limit yourself to listening with maybe simple cutting to length, MP3 may be used. MP3 doesn't make a very good source for production editing. As you get fancier and fancier with production editing, MP3 sound quality gets worse and worse.

FLAC format makes perfect large files, but not everybody can play them.

You can use Audacity Projects for this, but people have had problems with longer Projects and they can be brittle.

Does the station have a podcast? Download it and avoid all these problems.

Koz

Turbofiat124

Post by Turbofiat124 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:30 pm

I have a several computers so the idea is to just set "time record" the night before and walk away from the computer and let it do it's thing. I have not tested Audacity on my Windows XP machine to see if the same thing happens . I really don't want to use my XP machine anyway because it doesn't have as much space on the hard drive.

So I downloaded the latest version on Windows 10 and the same thing happens. However it doesn't quite "hang up" at 12 seconds as I expected. More less the computer is just unresponsive. Audacity continues to record, but the window says the elapsed time stops at "12" seconds. However at the bottom it shows the correct elapsed time and the audio graph (for lack of a better term) at the time shows the program to continue to record.

The only way to stop Audacity, I have to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and stop it through the task manager.

Now here is the workaround. When I go back into Audacity, the program asks if I want to load "unsaved work" or something. So I just hit "yes" and it loads what has been recorded. I have only tested this on a few minutes of recording.

I have not set a test recording for say for 3 minutes to see what happens after 3 minutes. To see if the program stops itself and becomes responsive. That is something I should try.

Could it be the program is designed so you can't "mess with" the computer while it's recording? Like I say, my plan is to just set the record timer and walk away and come back later so that is not a concern.

Right now the program is recording my radio show until 7 pm. I'll see how it goes.

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:26 pm

And just like that, I'm out.

You need somebody with intimate knowledge of what Audacity is thinking about while it's recording in Windows. Having a portion of the program fail without a formal crash is most unusual.

Koz

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Well I'm baffled I run a couple of W10 laptops and I cannot reproduce this at all - not on 2.1.3, the latest 2.2.1 released version nor the 2.2.2 alpha development test version.

Testing done using you 3 minute test use case - all proceeded fpr the full 3 minutes and terminated properly.

I also use these machines for a weekly capture of a two-hour overnight show unattended as I sleep and that has never stopped short.

There is a moonphase bug that we know about whereby Timer Record doesn't stop but just carries on - but I've only had that once on the past few years and releases: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42

There is also this known bug which stops the Timer Recording short: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43
but I don't think you are messing with the system clock, are you?

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

Turbofiat124

Post by Turbofiat124 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:42 pm

waxcylinder wrote:Well I'm baffled I run a couple of W10 laptops and I cannot reproduce this at all - not on 2.1.3, the latest 2.2.1 released version nor the 2.2.2 alpha development test version.

Testing done using you 3 minute test use case - all proceeded fpr the full 3 minutes and terminated properly.

I also use these machines for a weekly capture of a two-hour overnight show unattended as I sleep and that has never stopped short.

There is a moonphase bug that we know about whereby Timer Record doesn't stop but just carries on - but I've only had that once on the past few years and releases: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42

There is also this known bug which stops the Timer Recording short: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43
but I don't think you are messing with the system clock, are you?

WC
Well I tried the 3 minute recording test and Audacity kept going after 3 minutes. So I'm baffled. I will shoot a short video and post it on YouTube to show you guys what's happening. I'm going to test it on XP SP3 to see if I get the same error.

I do know Audacity won't run on an XP machine with a fresh install running SP1. I get a missing driver error on that machine. I was not planning on installing SP3 because that machine only has 512 MB RAM and SP3 dog knots anything under 2 GB RAM.

FL Coast

Post by FL Coast » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:46 am

I am having the same issue with Audacity 2.21 on a Windows 10 machine. The timer stops at 11 or 12 seconds while Audacity continues to record. Task Manager is the only way out. I have repeated the issue with varying timer lengths with the same results.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:24 am

FL Coast wrote:I am having the same issue with Audacity 2.21 on a Windows 10 machine. The timer stops at 11 or 12 seconds while Audacity continues to record. Task Manager is the only way out. I have repeated the issue with varying timer lengths with the same results.
This sounds like the moonphase bug that we know about (as I wrote above) but we have no idea what causes it: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42

None of the developers or QA folk can reproduce this with any regularity (or even at all) whicjh makes it very hard to track down

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *