Can you get real time echo in Audacity?

This read-only archive contains discussions from the Adding Feature forum.
New feature request may be posted to the Adding Feature forum.
Technical support is available via the Help forum.

Can you get real time echo in Audacity?

Permanent link to this post Posted by weiss24 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:10 pm

I am using Audacity to learn to speak German. First I listen to a sentence, then I say the sentence out loud, and listen.

But is there a way to turn on "real time echo" so I can hear what I've said 3-4 seconds later?

Right now I have to record, rewind, and press play.
weiss24

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Can you get real time echo in Audacity?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:38 pm

Audacity doesn't apply any effects in real-time. :(
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:40 pm

I have moved this to "Adding Features" as it is a feature request we have had before.

As to workarounds, Audacity has "Software Playthrough" in the Transport Menu that automatically plays the recording back as you make it. The playthrough is inevitably delayed, but you cannot configure the delay (without modifying Audacity and recompiling it).

You could perhaps try Radiodelay but I find it repeats the sound from the input over and over, instead of playing it once, late. However that repeat might suit you.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:38 pm

weiss24 wrote:I am using Audacity to learn to speak German. First I listen to a sentence, then I say the sentence out loud, and listen.
But is there a way to turn on "real time echo" so I can hear what I've said 3-4 seconds later?

Even if Audacity did support a real-time echo effect, the echo would end up on the recording after your voice.
As Gale is proposing to log this as a feature request we had best establish whether that is something that you would want.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by weiss24 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:58 pm

steve wrote:
weiss24 wrote:I am using Audacity to learn to speak German. First I listen to a sentence, then I say the sentence out loud, and listen.

Even if Audacity did support a real-time echo effect, the echo would end up on the recording after your voice.
As Gale is proposing to log this as a feature request we had best establish whether that is something that you would want.

Yes, definitely.

The way I do it now (which doesn't work all that well), is that I turn on my headphones and listen to a German audiobook on my Android phone. I listen 5 seconds, I click "pause" and repeat what I heard, and then after 5 seconds what I just said is being replayed. That allows me to identify which sounds I mispronounce and make corrections. The only problem is that the sound quality is poor with the app I am using ("EchoHacks").

I assume that if my headphones are my speakers, the echo wouldn't appear on the track? Then I could read a German text for say 10 seconds, pause and hear what I've read automatically, and proceed reading when the "echo" is over.
weiss24

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:25 am

steve wrote:

The requests we have had have not been for an "echo effect". The idea was a special button you could press that overdub recorded for twice (or greater) the length of the selection) then stopped and played from the end of the selection.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:29 am

weiss24 wrote:I assume that if my headphones are my speakers, the echo wouldn't appear on the track?

The echo should not appear on the track if you wear headphones and ensure you select the mic you are using as the recording device in Device Toolbar.

You may find something better for computers than Radiodelay if you look online.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:50 am

Gale Andrews wrote:The idea was a special button you could press that overdub recorded for twice (or greater) the length of the selection) then stopped and played from the end of the selection.

So that would be similar to resting the mouse near the end of the track, start the recording, then pressing "space" then "B" ?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:51 am

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:The idea was a special button you could press that overdub recorded for twice (or greater) the length of the selection) then stopped and played from the end of the selection.

So that would be similar to resting the mouse near the end of the track, start the recording, then pressing "space" then "B" ?

Not exactly, because you don't want to play all the recording, only the recording of the word or phrase.

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:
steve wrote:

Not exactly, because you don't want to play all the recording, only the recording of the word or phrase.

So this feature request would also modify how overdub recording works? (currently, if there is audio selected, the overdub recording stops at the end of the selection, but for this feature request it would need to continue beyond the end of the selection).

What are the advantages of this feature request over this method (which can be done with the current version of Audacity)?
1) Rather than selecting just the pre-recorded phrase, select the phrase plus enough room for the new material
2) Start (overdub) recording. The recording stops automatically at the end of the selection.
3) Click in the Timeline at the start of the new recording (Timeline Quick Play).
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to Feature Request Archive