Measure between -23dB and -18dB RMS.

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Measure between -23dB and -18dB RMS.

Post by steve » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 pm

You will need to juggle with the compressor and the Amplify (or Normalize) effects to get both the peak level and the RMS level within the required ranges.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Luckylolarose
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Luckylolarose » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:53 am

Thanks so much for all the above, it;s really helpful.

I have used compressor, and then amplified but then normalized so peak is -3DB but everytime I check after normalizing the RMS has been reduced. Don;t know how to keep peak and -3DB and keep RMS between -22 and -18, do I just keep fiddling around? Or is there anything else I can do?

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Two years?

I have a step by step process for this, but we need to wait so I have access to a real keyboard.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Open a segment of the show before you did anything to it. The raw performance.

Do you have ACX-Check? Highly recommended. It's an analysis tool that reads you all the ACX specifications in one shot. I have an analysis page that tells you all the things you have to do to get the same information without acx-check. It's not pretty.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyqui ... #ACX_Check

Once you have acx-check running and the raw performance on the timeline, Normalize so we can start from somewhere predictable. Modern microphones assume a crisp and sharp voice is highly desirable and that sound frequently fails ACX. It's a chasing tail thing.

-- Select the whole clip or show by clicking just above MUTE.
-- Effect > Normalize: [X]Remove DC, [X]Normalize to -3.2 > OK

-- Select the whole clip or show by clicking just above MUTE. (just to make sure)
-- Analyze > ACX Check.

Screen capture the analysis panel, or write down the top three readings, Peak, RMS (loudness) and Noise. We only need the dB readings. I assume it's not going to pass.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Write back wherever you get stuck. I plow on until someone stops me.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:06 pm

English version of the readings.

Peak. Look at the blue waves on the timeline. The very tippy-top of the waves is never allowed to go all the way up (or down). That's overload (1.0 on the timeline -- 0dB on the bouncing sound meters). That can cause audible crunching and distortion. ACX doesn't even want you to get close, so that's their -3dB (70%) limit.

RMS. Loudness. Root Mean Square is a standard electrical measurement which, when applied to audio, happens to work out to loudness. RMS should be between -23dB and -18 dB.

Noise. How loud is the show when you stop talking? This can be a combination of dogs barking next door and the ffffffff noise the microphone is making. All of it lumped into one number. Noise should be quieter than -60dB.

And yes, it's perfectly possible to have a performance that won't meet all three at the same time. It's distressingly common.

It's also possible to pass ACX-Check and still fail acceptance. If you got there by heavily processing and beating your voice to death, the work will fail Human Quality Control later. The failure is "Overprocessing."

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Or is there anything else I can do?
Did we lose you?

Many people want us to tell them how to push a button and Everything will Be OK. Not so far. Everybody's voice, environment and microphones are different, but you all have to fit into the same sound standards. It's very much a "stop by the store for a fitting."

You can also record a test sound clip and post that.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/Test ... _Clip.html

Koz

Dana_Tucker
Probationer
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Dana_Tucker » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Luckylolarose wrote: Don;t know how to keep peak and -3DB and keep RMS between -22 and -18, do I just keep fiddling around? Or is there anything else I can do?
I just put up a video on this issue, or at least part of this issue. It may help. If you want to resolve this issue, we can hook up via the www and I can capture your screen and walk you through the process. You can view the video here. Scrub to 9 min and then listen. https://youtu.be/JsJkUkvLZUk. It won't cost you a dime.

DL Voice
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by DL Voice » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:22 pm

I just tried to watch the video, but it's gone. :/

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:49 pm

The videos are being improved for your viewing pleasure.
Koz