Digitech RP500 issues

This section is now closed.
Forum rules
Audacity 1.2.x is now obsolete. Please use the current Audacity 2.1.x version.

The final version of Audacity for Windows 98/ME is the legacy 2.0.0 version.
equipfail666
Operating System: Please select

Digitech RP500 issues

Post by equipfail666 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:19 am

Ok, so I got a spankin new Digitech RP500 multiFX box. And I tried plugging it in and using it in Audacity through the USB connection, which worked once. I tried recording a second time with it, and I got nothing. So I decided to try using the audio outputs from the pedal to record with. And it works, but when I record, the quality of the input degrades, and by degrade, I mean the input sounds like what I hear when I have my headphones plugged into the pedal, but it changes, it gets quieter and has an almost phaser like quality to it (I don't use a phaser, at least in the tone I was using). Send me a private message, and we'll exchange emails and I'll make a recording and send it to you to illustrate what I mean.

equipfail666

Re: Digitech RP500 issues

Post by equipfail666 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:47 am

Alright, well, I made some progress. I got the thing to record from USB, but now I have to change the output device to hear what I recorded. For example, in Preferences, I have the option of 3 audio devices, SoundMAX Digital Audio, Microsoft Sound Mapper (Input for recording, output for playback, and Digitech RP500 In/Out. So, to record, I have to have Recording set to Digitech RP500 In/Out, and Playback set to Microsoft Sound Mapper Output. But, when it's set like that, I get no sound in my phones, or through the speakers. But if I set the Playback to SoundMAX Digital Audio, I get sound when I play it, but I can't record, the red line just flickers at 00:00 or reads nothing.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:33 am

Congratulations, it seems that you have worked it all out apart from one little detail.
equipfail666 wrote:So, to record, I have to have Recording set to Digitech RP500 In/Out, and Playback set to Microsoft Sound Mapper Output. But, when it's set like that, I get no sound in my phones, or through the speakers.
You need to enable "software playthrough" in "Edit menu > Preferences > Audio I/0"

The reason that software playthrough is required is because there is no direct (hardware) link between the device that you are recording from (USB) and the device that you are playing back with (SoundMAX). The disadvantage of using software to route the sound from the USB input to the sound card output is that it takes a little time, so there will be a small delay between the sound going into the computer and coming out through the speakers. This does not pose any real problem for recording from tapes or vinyl, but may be a big headache for live recording (depending on how long the delay is). If you are recording just a single track (not multi-track recording) it is best to use the software playthrough just to check that Audacity is recording correctly, then switch to headphones connected to the Digitech RP500 multiFX box for monitoring while you play.

Using the USB input is preferable to using the SoundMAX because on-board sound cards are usually pretty low quality and usually have features enabled by default that are intended to help with voice applications such as Skype, but make a total mess of recordings (as you have discovered).

Some USB devices work in both directions - recording and playback. IF the Digitech RP500 multiFX box can do this, then the best option would be to set Audacity to both record and playback through the Digitech, then you will be able to monitor both the live input and existing Audacity tracks at the same time through the headphones plugged into the Digitech RP500. I don't know if the Digitech RP500 multiFX box can do this - you will need to check the manual (or just try it).

If the Digitech RP500 does not support full duplex (simultaneous record and playback) then you are stuck with playing back through the the SoundMax. That will not be a problem if you have a mixing desk because you would be able to route the sounds from the RP500 and the SoundMax through the mixing desk. If you intend to use this option, switch off "software playthrough" to avoid hearing an echo of your live input.

For multi-track audio I would highly recommend Audacity 1.3.12 as it has many additional features for musicians, however, the playback delay when using software playthrough is likely to be a lot greater with the 1.3.12 version than with the 1.2.6 version, so you might end up using both versions - 1.2.6 for recording and 1.3.12 for editing. Be aware that although you can have both versions installed on the same computer, Audacity 1.2.6 cannot open projects that have been saved by Audacity 1.3.12.
Learn more about Nyquist programming at audionyq.com

equipfail666

Post by equipfail666 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:41 pm

That doesn't quite address the problem. I still have to change output devices to play and record. And that's the problem. I don't want to have to change my output device to listen to what I just recorded. I've never had this problem before on other computers.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

If you set Audacity Preferences (Edit menu > Preferences > Audio I/0)
Recording -> USB
Playback -> Sound Max
Software Playthrough = selected.
and plug your headphones into the computer
What happens?

Recording -> USB
Playback -> USB
and plug your headphones into the Digitech
What happens?

Which version of Windows are you using?

equipfail666

Post by equipfail666 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm using Windows XP on a Compaq NC6120 laptop.

Recording -> USB
Playback -> Sound Max
and plug your headphones into the computer
What happens?
The first time I try it, the indicator flickers at 00:00. If I don't delete that track and I try recording again, the indicator goes foreward, but it still doesn't record.

Recording -> USB
Playback -> USB
and plug your headphones into the Digitech
What happens?
The first time, it's the same result as with the playback coming through SoundMAX. The second time, it records, but when I play back the track I just recorded, I get no sound unless I change the playback device back to SoundMAX.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Try the 1.3.12 version of Audacity. you can get it from here: http://audacityteam.org/download/

equipfail666

Post by equipfail666 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:04 am

I actually just tried it before I went to work today. Does it not have support for USB devices? Because I still get the same result running through the soundcard (The signal starting clear and loud, and getting quieter and getting a whooshing {best way to describe it} quality) and in the preferences it didn't have an option for the pedal like it did in 1.2. I also tried making the pedal the default recording device through Windows' audio properties, to no avail. I'm about to say screw it and wait till I can just record through my USB mic (The only reason I'm trying so hard to get it to work like this is in my living situation I'd get in trouble if I started cranking my guitar)

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:36 pm

equipfail666 wrote:The only reason I'm trying so hard to get it to work like this is in my living situation I'd get in trouble if I started cranking my guitar
I quite understand :)
equipfail666 wrote:Does it not have support for USB devices?
Yes it does, but the Audacity Preferences are a bit different. Check the settings in "Edit menu > Preferences > Devices".
The USB device must be connected to the computer and recognised by Windows before you start Audacity.