Ice breaking using Infrasound

Audacity 2.0.3, Windows 7

:question:

Does an infrasound ‘generator’ exist that is directional (like a gun) and finite in distance ?

The object of such a machine would be to break up ice on the superstructure of ships, for example, fishing boats operating in the Bering sea where ‘icing up’ is extremely dangerous. Yes, I do watch ‘Deadliest Catch’, in particular the winter season when boats routinely ice up and an already dangerous job becomes life threatening.

I cannot believe this solution has not already been investigated but I have been surprised before about what I thought was obvious…

I would appreciate any comment throwing light on the matter.

Does an infrasound ‘generator’ exist that is directional (like a gun) and finite in distance ?

…and not a health hazard. Low frequency sounds, like an earthquake, are aggressively non-directional and spread out wherever they feel like it. They can cause health problems. More than one battlefield “sound canon” was developed to pulse infra sound energy to disable the enemy. Hard to fight when you’re projectile vomiting uncontrollably.

You can generate tones in Audacity down to battery voltage (wind) if you want, but it’s up to you to get the tones out of the computer and into your canon.

Koz