Failed to open database file

Hi,

I’m running a iMac with High Sierra ( 10.13.6 ) and use Audacity without a problem for some years now.

Like usual I edited a project and saved it like usual. Hands down habbits always worked until now…

Out of sudden ( NOTHING HAS CHANGED ) I get messages like “Failed to open database file”…
At first I thought it’ll be solved by downloading a new version ( and I did ) but nothing worked.

At some point the "verification’ by Mac when installing a new app didn’t work anymore. For that I found a work around.
But as from now ALL my former aup files are not usable anymore since they won’t open.
Even a save as doesn’t work anymore. It just says - see attachment pls.

I’ve checked in earlier sort like threads but can’t find any real solutions… :-/

Anybody who can get me on the right track to solve this “problem” ?

Thanks for any help.
O.

The problem details says as follows :

{
“timestamp”: 1675522556,
“event_id”: “28a8c43f71b94a669562c0ccde59d72d”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.2.4”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Macintosh”,
“version”: “10.13.6”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “Error_Opening_Project”,
“value”: “Failed to open database file:\n\n/8TB GRAID A with LoveTruthSite WHAT THEY FORGOT TO TELL PART WHAT THEY FORGOT TO TELL YOU part 3 ( ALL FINAL … EDITED ).aup3”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false,
“data”: {
“sqlite3.rc”: “8”,
“sqlite3.context”: “DBConnection::ModeConfig”,
“sqlite3.mode”: “PRAGMA .page_size = 65536;VACUUM;”,
“log”: “15:55:56: DBConnection SetDBError\n\tErrorCode: 8\n\tLastError: Failed to set page size for database /8TB GRAID A with LoveTruthSite WHAT THEY FORGOT TO TELL PART WHAT THEY FORGOT TO TELL YOU part 3 ( ALL FINAL … EDITED ).aup3\n\tLibraryError: attempt to write a readonly database\n15:55:56: DBConnection SetError\n\tErrorCode: 8\n\tLastError: Failed to open database file:\n\n/8TB GRAID A with LoveTruthSite WHAT THEY FORGOT TO TELL PART WHAT THEY FORGOT TO TELL YOU part 3 ( ALL FINAL … EDITED ).aup3\n\tLibraryError: (8): attempt to write a readonly database\n”
}
}
}
]
}
}
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 16.21.30.png

1 Like

So this is a secret code that indicates that you do not have write access to the project file. Unfortunately, Audacity requires read/write access to all of its projects beginning in 3.0.0.

See: Result and Error Codes

Thanks for your reply !

That is VERY weird ! I did NOT change anything ?!
But I checked, and have put the the ownership of the drive into “Ignore” and it seemed to have worked.

So, I guess that solved the problem !

So thank you again for your solution !

Kind regards,
O.

Hi, I am having the same problem, but with windows 11 and trying to transport to the power director. I have been using audacity for about 6 months and never had this problem before. If anyone can help, would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Please post a screenshot demonstrating the problem.

Below I attached screenshots. if you notice in power director the audio is flat-lined and we don’t get any wave lines, there is no sound, in audacity there are wave lines and we can hear sound
different breeds.pdf (415 KB)

OP reported getting messages like “Failed to open database file”…

I don’t see that anywhere in your attachment.

Perhaps best to ask the power director people. Note power director cannot read Audacity project files. You’ll first have to export to .WAV, for example.