more use of ram for 64bit and keep/store window size

Hi
i’m under windows 10 and 7 , really love audacity 64bit 3.1.3 (the last official build)

would be nice have the possibility to set the amount the ram , or let audacity 64bit use more ram available on a computer and less scratch disk

keep/store window size , for example plot spectrum , i have always to resize the window the frequency analysis because it’s too small , just open audacity ,load an audio file , plot spectrum → resize , close audacity reload an audio and plot spectrum , the window is always small

thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

Note that Windows 7 is no longer officially supported.

Audacity generally does not need much RAM, though a possible exception is some Nyquist plug-ins. Nyquist is a 32-bit scripting language that runs inside Audacity - because it is 32-bit it cannot access more than 2 GB RAM.
(looking at the instance of Audacity that I’m currently running, it is using just under 100 MB RAM and zero scratch disk).

Audacity already does this for some windows (including the main Audacity window), though I agree that this should be extended to many of the other windows where it does not currently do this. (The one that annoys me most is the Nyquist Prompt “Debug” window, which I use quite frequently).

This tends to be more of a problem on computers that have high dpi monitor displays. Better support for high dpi displays is an area that the development team intend to improve.

Hi Steve
that’s a pity , many free softwares still try to run under w7,at least you should keep a version full compatible with w7
some great software are still xp compatible ,I know they are very old but there are several users (give a look at hydrogena audio forum) they do use old comptuer as audio player and/or editors

Audacity already does this for some windows (including the main Audacity window), though I agree that this should be extended to many of the other windows where it does not currently do this. (The one that annoys me most is the Nyquist Prompt “Debug” window, which I use quite frequently).

the window of analyze->plot spectrum was is one of them

by the way , i would like to have a spectrogram colors like spek or audition cc

thanks Steve

Audacity continued to support Windows XP long after Microsoft declared it obsolete, but eventually XP became too old for libraries required by Audacity.
Similarly, the Audacity developers will not deliberately make Audacity incompatible with Windows 7, but eventually Windows 7 will be too old (if not already). The priority for the developers is to make Audacity as good as possible for current operating systems.

For anyone that wants to use obsolete operating systems, older versions of Audacity remain available. See: Redirecting to: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows and Redirecting to: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac