Help - Internal error at D:\a\audacity ....

Hi,

I’m running Win 10 and Audacity 3.1.2 and I got an error (see attached) when trying to open a project as well as when I attempted to open the two previous backups of the project that I made. I can go back to one version of the project that I have that does load, but that is a few steps further back in the process. I was hoping to get my current version back or one of the two recent backups I made.

The message mentioned “D:\a\audacity.…” and I do have a D: drive, but it is my system backup drive and there is no “D:\a\audacity…” path/folder on that drive. I do have the option turned on to see hidden files as well.

All my .aup3 files are on my C: drive and I am loading the project from my C: drive.

Any ideas about what might have gone wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Mike

This is what is in the problem details box that pops up:

{
“timestamp”: 1637962472,
“event_id”: “8a5a867011650041842a5347e5cccdae”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.1.2”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Windows”,
“version”: “10.0.19044”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “Internal_Error”,
“value”: “Internal error at line 547.\nPlease inform the Audacity team at https://.”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false
}
}
]
}
}

Capture.JPG

So if you care to zip up your .aup3 file and upload it to a public file server, then post (or PM me) the link, I’ll take a look at it.

Thanks jademan - I sent a PM and a link to the file on my google drive.

OK, the good new is that this project loads OK on the new 3.1.3-Beta, which some are hopeful will be released very soon. :smiley:

We have a 3.1.3 beta for you to test. It should significantly speed things up (especially loading in) and also fixed a crash, but it did require large under-the-hood changes, so we want to know if anything breaks with real projects.
Please download and test it out on > Release Audacity 3.1.3 Beta 1 · audacity/audacity · GitHub

Unfortunately, since we can’t reproduce your issue on 3.1.3, the developers tend not to be interested in pursuing this kind of problem.

I tried using 3.1.3 to copy the entire project (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) to a new 3.1.3 project (Ctrl+N, Ctrl+V) and while this duplicated and saved OK, I had the same problem trying to open it in 3.1.2. I was able to load your project in an special test version of Audacity I have that bypasses the new 3.1.x features, but when I did this, some of your smaller clips ended up with no audio - I am not sure just why.

I also noticed you had some audio before zero. I am thinking this could be contributing to the problem but I don’t know.

As I see it you have three options:

1. Wait for 3.1.3 to be released.
  2. Migrate to the the 3.1.3-beta now (which cannot be recommended)
  3. Use the 3.1.3 beta to extract the portions of the project that you need and re-import into 3.1.2.

I was trying to do step #3 myself, but I ran out of time - it is a little time consuming due to the size of your project and I have other things on my schedule. :wink: However, there is no reason that you could not do this yourself:

What I try to do is SELECT a small set of tracks (possibly just one), then Ctrl+C to copy it to an Ctrl+N(ew) project via Ctrl+V (paste). Then I save the result as a separate project, and test to see if I can load it into 3.1.2.

Hopefully, I would be successful with that, and hopefully, can merge these project together with 3.1.2. Of course there are no guarantees.

Good Luck. :smiley:

Thanks jademan - I will pursue the copy/paste option with 3.1.3 and see how that goes.

Any guesses as to why it might load in 3.1.3 but not 3.1.2? It’s likely not a corrupt file because it loads in 3.1.3. Not a big deal for me to know, just wondering.

Thanks again for looking at this - I really appreciate it!

Mike

jademan - the copy and paste to a new project and then opening the new project in 3.1.2 worked great. Thanks for the work around!

Mike

And thank you for your report. I’m glad you got it all working. :smiley: