V3.1.2 Not initializing VST effect ?

Hi. I recently tried installing V3.1.2, but when I run it I get a repeating message, saying “Attempting to initialize the following effect failed” “Hard Limiter” "More information may be available in ‘Help > Diagnostics > Show Log’.
This message simply repeats and the program never opens. I reverted back to the previous version.
Can anyone tell me what is going on here ?
Thanks, Gordon
Audacity 3.1.2 Install Problem.JPG

Fixed this problem myself by renaming the config files…
audacity.cfg
pluginregistry.cfg
pluginsettings.cfg

… and getting the install to recreate them.

I’m also having this problem with all of my iz RX7 plugins. They’re all still listed in the ‘effects’ dropdown and I’ve enabled them but when I attempt to use any I get a similar error msg. They worked fine in the 3.0 version.
I’m afraid if I attempt to rename any files I’ll end up in more of a mess.
Any other suggestions?
thanks!

I’m also having the same issue as ajosteele, and others.
After downloading the latest version, my RX7 effects no longer initialize… can’t even open the program. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled with the same result. I run Windows 10

In what version RX7 used to work before? (I see now “They worked fine in the 3.0 version.”) And is it the 32-bit version of RX? Beware that Audacity ships 64-bit Windows binaries by default now (since 3.0.3 actually) and 64-bit hosts apps won’t run 32-bit VST plugins without a bridge. I can run my own Cabbage-written VST2 64-bit plugins just fine in 3.1.3. See “proof” here for instance https://imgur.com/a/wbY4g0e

If you don’t have dumpbin to check the plugin bitness (it only comes with in Visual Studio or the Windows SDK) you can try the more primitive method describe here: How to check if a binary is 32 or 64 bit on Windows? - Super User

It’s not a problem limited to Audacity, by the way

The VST Bridge is a software interface in Cubase 4 to Cubase 8.5 resp. Nuendo 4 to Nuendo 7. It comes into play when you need to […] run a 32-Bit plug-in in a 64-Bit version of Cubase/Nuendo.

@ werame5913

Interesting info about Cabbage which essentially uses Csound.
These two then, could be very interesting when used with Audacity.

Had a look at the Csound and Cabbage syntax, does not look that complicated.

You seem rather comfortable with them, want to start a new thread related to these and share some tips/hints/ideas/code snippets?
It would add another option, over and above Nyquist.

I know that Cabbage has it’s own forum but, it may still be beneficial for Audacity users to have some info here that is more
related to Audacity and the use of Cabbage.