time shift disappeared in 3.1.0

Hi, when I updated audacity from 3.0.5 to 3.1.0, the first thing I noticed is that the time shift icon is missing in the Tools Toolbar. I also tried using F5 as I was instructed to do on the manual page, but nothing. Can I go download 3.0.5?

It has been replaced by “Clip Handles” (drag bars to every clip).
See: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/new_features_in_this_release.html

Where will I find the “Clip Handles” to access timeshift function?

See: Editing Wave Track

Thank you so much. I’m still using 3.0.5 right now, and it seems to be giving me more errors than before. Now I can update to 3.1.2.

In the new manual, any of these major changes should be communicated to users better. If I hadn’t come back to write up a new post, I would still be using audacity 3.0.5

I’d have preferred dragging the file name window instead of having to use something that wasn’t replacing where the track mover was

Although I can appreciate the new trimming feature offered, the deletion of the time shift tool has also eliminated the vertical guideline through more than one track. It is disastrous for me when editing my music tracks. I need that guideline for precision aligning my tracks at any point along the track. There appears to be a vertical guide only when you align the beginning or end of 2 tracks. That will rarely serve me well. I have had to resort to using a previous version of Audacity. It would be great if this problem is given consideration. It will seriously impact any musician using the software trying to edited multiple instrument tracks.

I do love the ability of the latest version of Audacity to convert .mp4 to .mp3

Many Thanks

Zephyr3141

Drop a temporary label at the point where you want the alignment - then when you move the other track a yellow snap guide will appear:

Peter

That is what I do. :smiley:

Thank you for your comments. Also, see this thread: Need vertical line across all tracks for editing

Your suggestion might gain more traction if you raise an issue with the developers here: GitHub - audacity/audacity: Audio Editor

This is one reason why I’m not updating my current version -It just works to well for me right now and i really don’t wanna gamble with it. I’m currently losing my mind trying to learn things in other DAWS in hopes that I might find more of a “one stop shop” (as we all know Audacity can’t do everything) and realizing just how great Audacity is at doing certain things… Just wish it did a couple more. -One of those things is pocketing beats on tracks. Ex. a snare hit that’s a little ahead or behind the beat -Being able to just nudge that over slightly… Bussing would be cool, too… -You wouldn’t happen to have any leads on nudging beats to line more up with the click in certain instances, would you? -Not cutting it and sliding it over, but just nudging that one beat, effectively…

That’s commonly called “quantization”, though it’s not a very good name because there are also other kinds of quantization.

The word “quantization” literally means “the process of mapping continuous infinite values to a smaller set of discrete finite values”. In this context, the “continuous infinite values” refers to the actual time that a beat occurs, which are then “quantized” to exact beat divisions. Sometimes the phrase “quantizing beats”, or “quantize the rhythm” to distinguish it from other sorts of quantization. (A different type of quantization is “pitch correction”, where notes are quantized from an infinite range of frequencies, to a discrete set of “note” frequencies).

The developers have mentioned that this is a feature that they would like to add at some point. It’s actually rather difficult to do with audio (much easier with MIDI), so it could be quite a while before we see this feature in Audacity.

Ahh, okay, Right… Understood.

-Is there any type of workaround?? Seems to me that it’s kind of a typical thing in some DAWS, no??

If it’s just the occasional note, you can split that note to a new track (“Edit menu > Clip Boundaries > Split New”), then move the new clip as necessary.

If you need to quantize a lot of bad playing, probably better to use a different program. My piano playing is rubbish, so I’ll generally write piano parts into a MIDI sequencer, then export as WAV from the MIDI sequencer, and import the WAV file into Audacity for editing / processing / mixing.

Oh yeah -DEFINITELY don’t need to quantize a bunch of bad playing. Yeah, it would just be a one or two little nudges -And, I LOVE the way you “hacked” that! Sweet! Thank you!