Do you collect user data under the new owners?

I just came across a very disturbing information

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/07/04/open-source-audacity-deemed-spyware-over-data-collection-changes/?fbclid=IwAR0qVxYC8QKU91Fyu7yaYNV5BidvBGuhQi1KginAF4C25jlx_dYLCsZ_j18

could you please explain?

I didn’t even know Audacity has changed hands…

This forum is run by members of the Audacity community for the benefit of the Audacity community. We are not part of the management and so are unable to comment on management policy decisions.

I can say with certainty that Audacity versions up to and including Audacity 3.0.2 have no networking code, and so are incapable of connecting to the Internet or collecting personal data.

The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for Audacity users to get help from the community with using Audacity. As your question is not directly about using Audacity, strictly speaking, it is off-topic.

Nevertheless it is relevant to Audacity users, so I’ll ask if a management representative will post a statement here on the forum about this.
In the meantime, as has been published on the Audacity website:

If you have any questions or comments, or if you wish to exercise your data protection rights, please contact us via > privacy@AudacityTeam.org

Also, there is a level headed analysis of this issue by the well known open source journalist and critic Alexandre Prokoudine HERE.

I don’t know how quickly anyone from the management team will be available, so I’ll “lock and pin” this topic so that it remains at the top of this forum board as a placeholder.

UPDATE:

The Audacity desktop app privacy notice was updated today. The full, updated notice can be read here: https://www.audacityteam.org/about/desktop-privacy-notice/

Note that the privacy policy refers only to future versions of Audacity. Up to and including the current Audacity 3.0.2 there is no privacy notice because the app does not have networking and so is incapable of sharing data.