[Resolved] Feature request : Zooming

Hi everybody

To whom it may concern :

There is a great annoyment in every audacity version that would be nice to fix :

When choosing the Spectrogram display mode and we want to zoom in/out, we have to :

• 1- place our mouse on the left vertical scale
    2- right clic in it
    3- scroll down the menu to select “zoom in/out”

TOO many actions here, specially when you want to zoom in more than 2 times !

Why not simply do like in google map :

• 1- double left-clic in the left scale (or directly in the specrtogram) to zoom in
    2- double right-clic in the scale (or directly in the specrtogram) to zoom out

Two caveats here :

• 1- when clicing in the spectrogram area, you lose your selection
    2- the right-clic in the left scale is assigned to a contextual menu

Then find something else :

• 1- keyboard ± keys
    2- shift right/left-clic in the spectrogram
    3- CTRL or/and Alt or/and shift left/right clic in the spectrogram or in the left scale

but gosh… save us from the contextual menu to do so… PLEASE !!!

Best regards
iBenny

I’d recommend that you consider turning on and using Advanced Vertical Zooming:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/vertical_zooming.html#advanced

But even better, in the future the developers are considering introducing sliders for horizontal and vertical zoo (I have seen this recently on a wire-frame prototype for changes to the GUI).

Peter

You can vertically-zoom on the spectrogram using the mouse scroll-wheel …

vertical zooming using scroll wheel.gif
[ BTW Audacity developers, the aggravation caused by automagically adjusting the width on the vertical scale
according to the number of sig figs is not worth the square-inch of screen real-estate saving ].

By and large developers don’t read the Forum - :nerd:

You need to open an Issue on GitHub if you feel strogly about this:

Peter.

I’d recommend that you consider turning on and using Advanced Vertical Zooming:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/ver > … l#advanced

Terrific Waxcylinder, that’s what we needed and… sorry for not knowing the fundamental nuts and bolts of audacity…

You can vertically-zoom on the spectrogram using the mouse scroll-wheel …

Thanks Trebor but, fortunately, as a permanent internet user, I use the BEST mouse ergonomically to save my hands/arm from ‘carpal tunnel syndrome’ that is… a four buttons Logitech TRACKBALL, which ALL program developers fail to address, audacity included (unfortunately) !

Thanks and Best regards to everybody
iBenny

Glad to have been able to help :sunglasses:

It’s only easy when you know how - and that advanced vertical scaling is not easily “discoverable”

Peter.

You need to open an Issue on GitHub if you feel strongly about this:
Issues · audacity/audacity · GitHub

Thanks for the tip Waxcylinder (two or four strokes ? :mrgreen:) BUT… going into github is SUCH a maze and head spinning hassle that… you guess what I think of it !

But with the direct link you provided, I revisited the place and it’s more user friendly that I previously thought… :smiley:

Best regards
iBenny