Bug 2769 - Nyquist effects and echo effect integrated

Hello, in view of "Bug 2769 - Nyquist effects can not extend length of selected audio " which seems to be related to Nyquist and which I have observed, I have also noticed the “same bug” with the “echo effect” integrated in audacity, when it is applied whether it is a selected part inside a clip or in an isolated clip.
The workaround is to generate a long enough silence after the selected clip to be able to apply the effect.

Audacity 3.0.2 and 2.4.2
Macbook pro 15 inch (2018) Mojave (10.14.6) 2,6 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Thanks for the report, but that’s not a bug, it’s by design.

From the user manual (Echo - Audacity Manual)

Unless your requested echo length (delay time) is less than the length of the selection, no echoes will be created. Also Echo does not generate additional audio beyond that selected. So if necessary you must > add sufficient silence > to the end of your track(s) to accommodate your echo settings.

To add silence:

1. Click in the selection and press End on your keyboard, or choose Transport > Cursor To > Track End
  2. Choose Generate > Silence…
  3. Choose the duration of the silence you want to add to the selected audio, and click OK.

This leaves the generated silence selected. Before running the Echo effect itself, click in the Track Control Panel to select both the original audio and the inserted silence (or hold Shift and press Home).

Thank you Steve,
I now understand my misunderstanding… :wink:

But would it be possible to add to the build in echo effect a permission like for the Nyquist effect:
Allow duration to change: Yes/No ??

Thanks

When bug 2769 is fixed you can produce pretty much the same effect using the “Delay” effect (Delay - Audacity Manual)

Note that if Echo is allowed to extend the length, then there has to be some mechanism to tell it when to stop, otherwise it would keep going forever. The simplest solution would be to have a control to set the number of repeats, like in the “Delay” effect.

Thanks again Steve,
I like this idea : “The simplest solution would be to have a control to set the number of repeats, like in the “Delay” effect.”
and as i suggested : “to add to the build in echo effect a permission like for the Nyquist effect : Allow duration to change: Yes/No ??”

Because if, as you said, “you can produce pretty much the same effect using the ‘Delay’ effect” as you can with the echo effect, there’s a little bit of a difference and sometimes I like to use the echo and other times I prefer the delay effect.

So maybe it would be possible to add it in the proposal for adding/changing features to Audacity?
Thanks

A much easier solution would be if I made a new, optional plug-in version of the Echo effect as a Nyquist Plug-in. This will be quick and simple to do, once bug 2769 is fixed.

In fact, I could make one now, but the “Allow duration to change” option won’t work until bug 2769 is fixed.
I’ll post one later, but I need to do some other things right now.

Thank you,
I really don’t want to put pressure on you or the developers, and sorry if my posts are not as relevant as I would hope…

I love Audacity, it gives me enormous pleasure to work on it… for the “work” I do, Audacity corresponds much more to my use than any other DAWs…
I realise the amount of work it represents… especially as I am only a neophyte user, not knowing how to code, not knowing anything about sound technology…

Again, I thank you for your time spent answering our questions, and thank you to the developers who take the time to develop this great tool.

Took longer than I anticipated.

Here’s the plug-in:
Echo.ny (1.2 KB)
Note:

;; Due to bug 2769, the option “Trim output to selection length” has no effect.
;; Until the bug is fixed, output is always the same length as the selection.
;; To work around the bug, ensure that the selection is long enough to
;; accommodate the repeats.

Installation instructions for Nyquist plug-ins are here in the manual:
Windows: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_effect_generator_and_analyzer_plug_ins_on_windows.html#nyquist_install
Mac: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_effect_generator_and_analyzer_plug_ins_on_mac_os_x.html#nyquist_install
Linux: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_effect_generator_and_analyzer_plug_ins_on_linux.html#nyquist_install
(Don’t forget to enable the plug-in after installing)

Thank You Steve,
This works perfectly for me,
Again thanks very much for your work, time and commitment…