Roll back to older version?

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 3.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 3.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Roll back to older version?

Post by steve » Sat May 01, 2021 10:33 am

Samse26 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:29 am
Could you please share instructions for running a different version in parallel? On one of my systems I have 3.0.0 installed which shows some odd behavior when loading a (2.x) project. I'd like to switch between this and my previous 2.4.2 to compare the behavior - preferably preserving the "Main" 3.0 installation and having 2.4.2 portable (Win8.1, other systems Win10)
Here you go: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/por ... acity.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

jademan
Forum Crew
Operating System: Please select

Post by jademan » Sat May 01, 2021 11:02 am

Samse26 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:29 am
preferably preserving the "Main" 3.0 installation
BTW, Audacity 3.0.2 has been available for a while and contains important fixes over 3.0.0: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Samse26
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Samse26 » Sat May 01, 2021 5:10 pm

Thanks for the instructions and pointer to latest version.
With 3.0.0 I observed frequent crashes of my Outlook (2010) apparently linked to Audacity loading a large (> 1GB) FLAC file, leading to 100% busy time on the system SSD (response time climbing up to ~4s).
v2.4.2 seems to less heavily utilize the SSD.
First tests however showed that v3.0.2 does not cause such crashes. It looks as if load time is faster. Will still keep an eye on this and report back if any problems.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sat May 01, 2021 5:35 pm

There is one item that's handy to know. Audacity doesn't edit MP3, FLAC, or other compressed or processed sound files. It converts them to its own super high quality internal sound format for editing. That helps prevent effects, filter, and processing distortion.

That means your (> 1GB) FLAC file is going to be much larger in Audacity than you think. Also, under some editing conditions, Audacity saves the whole show as UNDO. So let's say your show inside Audacity is really 2.5GB (MP3 files can make this much worse) and you do two processing edits. That's 7.5GB that Audacity now has to manage.
(response time climbing up to ~4s)
So this isn't the piffle job you might think it is.

It's also handy if there's nothing else running on your machine while you work. If you're on Windows, Shift+Shutdown will clear out Windows processes and may make this editing session easier and faster. And makes the shutdown take longer.

If you're on a Mac, actually Shut Down, not Restart, and pay attention to how long it takes to actually go down. If it takes a really long time, wait a bit for the machine to settle down and do it again.

Koz

Samse26
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Samse26 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:50 pm

Audacity doesn't edit MP3, FLAC, or other compressed or processed sound files.
This is understood and I am aware that the >1GB FLAC file represents quite a big chunk (some 90min of music).
I did a test with a vinyl that I ripped before, represented by
- LP.aup + LP_data with 820 MB
- LP.aup3 with 821 MB (when closed) (created from the *.aup project)
After opening the aup3 project, adding a 217MB FLAC and again removing it, all project files (incl. temporary) together take about 2,7 GB.
I do follow your comment on UNDO requiring a lot of space and I never looked into the _data folder for size changes with v2. So just out of curiosity: how did v2 handle this, did it "blow" the _data folder temporarily as well?
OK, I guess I can answer this myself: v2 DID blow up the _data folder (to ~1,6 GB) in this example.
So it seems the major extra space requirement with v3 comes from the temporary aup3-wal file (~1 GB in my example).

Is there any rule of thumb to what extent we can expect the temp files to grow during an edit session?
If v3 now has a significant higher requirement for temporary space, it would be good to know, so we can reserve enough work space.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon May 03, 2021 4:18 pm

Samse26 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:50 pm
If v3 now has a significant higher requirement for temporary space
In my tests I've not found that to be the case. What I have noticed is that AUP3 project (including the WAL file) will frequently show a bigger size temporarily. With the old "pile of files" format, any "Undo history" that no longer referenced the project would be deleted immediately, whereas the new format may hang onto that data a bit longer, but overall the total size of a project is pretty similar.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)