Roll back to older version?

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 3.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 3.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
BernieH
Operating System: Windows 10

Roll back to older version?

Post by BernieH » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:01 pm

Does anyone know whether it is possible to roll back to an older version of Audacity while keeping things like macros? Where can I safely download the files (windows)?
Unfortunately 3.0.0 is unusably unstable for me, although I'm sure future versions will be great.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Roll back to older version?

Post by steve » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:09 pm

BernieH wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:01 pm
Does anyone know whether it is possible to roll back to an older version of Audacity while keeping things like macros?
Macros should be mostly compatible between Audacity 2.4.2 and Audacity 3.0.0.

Project made in Audacity 3.0.0 can not be opened by Audacity 2.4.2.
BernieH wrote:
Where can I safely download the files (windows)?
Audacity 2.4.2 can be downloaded from FossHub: https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-old.html

BernieH wrote:
Unfortunately 3.0.0 is unusably unstable for me
Why, what's the problem?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

jademan
Forum Crew

Post by jademan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:44 pm

steve wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:09 pm
Why, what's the problem?
I think he is refering to this post: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=116810&p=420830#p420830

jademan
Forum Crew

Post by jademan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:15 pm

BernieH wrote:
Unfortunately 3.0.0 is unusably unstable for me
If you have steps that can help to replicate this problem, please share them. Thank you.

BernieH

Post by BernieH » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:06 pm

steve wrote:
Why, what's the problem?
Trying to open a file (mp3 or wav) sometimes gives the Failed to open project database error.
Sometimes running a macro on a set of files just stops part way through without any error, but without processing all the files.
Sometimes running a macro stops with the Failed to open project database error partway through.
Sometimes trying to run a high pass filter on a file just stops at/near the end of % processing without giving any error but without doing the filter.
I have a suspicion there has been something else too, but I don't remember now - these are the main ones!

There doesn't seem to be any consistency to these errors - sometimes immediately retrying a failed operation on exactly the same file succeeds, but often not.
I normally run a macro on 3-8 files per day, but have found it impossible to do this successfully within 4-5 attempts most days since v3.0.0, at which point I have lost patience and lost time compared to doing it manually ...
So I was doing all the processing manually instead, but then realised a couple of days ago that the high pass filtering was sometimes failing too (there are no signs except for noticing the waveform didn't look different on the screen and then that I didn't have options to undo/redo the filter - whereas a failed macro doesn't produce an output file), making it impractical to do even this.

BernieH

Post by BernieH » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:29 pm

steve wrote:
Audacity 2.4.2 can be downloaded from FossHub: https://www.fosshub.com/Audacity-old.html
This is working perfectly for me again - thanks.
Hopefully a future update to 3.x.y will work well too, even if I can't provide any helpful bug tracing insights.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:01 pm

BernieH wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:29 pm
Hopefully a future update to 3.x.y will work well too, even if I can't provide any helpful bug tracing insights.
We're finding it very difficult to reproduce this problem. We know that it is real because we have multiple reports of the same thing, but not for us.

The next version will be Audacity 3.0.1 and is scheduled for release next month. Several bugs have been fixed, but this one is still doubtful. Additional logging has been added for 3.0.1 so that if the bug does still happen we may be able to work out what's causing it. It would be immensely useful for us if you could test the next release and help us with some bug hunting. Would you be willing to do that?

BernieH

Post by BernieH » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:18 pm

steve wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:01 pm
We're finding it very difficult to reproduce this problem. We know that it is real because we have multiple reports of the same thing, but not for us.
Yes, when the behaviour is inconsistent on my machine I can see how it's difficult to diagnose.
The next version will be Audacity 3.0.1 and is scheduled for release next month. Several bugs have been fixed, but this one is still doubtful. Additional logging has been added for 3.0.1 so that if the bug does still happen we may be able to work out what's causing it. It would be immensely useful for us if you could test the next release and help us with some bug hunting. Would you be willing to do that?
Will it be possible to install it alongside 2.4.2? Then I can always try to use 3.0.1 every day but if it fails I can still get my processing done on the old version while sending you the logs, and try again the next day?
If I have to replace 2.4.2 then I will try 3.0.1 at least once but won't keep installing/rolling back/installing etc. every day, so you won't get nearly as many logs.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:40 pm

BernieH wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:18 pm
Will it be possible to install it alongside 2.4.2?
We can give you instructions for how to run the new version as a self-contained "portable" version, so that the two versions don't interfere with each other. Our regular testers are usually running multiple versions at the same time, so plenty of advice on hand to help.

One "possible" problem that may occur from doing this is that effects may be duplicated due to Audacity seeing the effects in the other version. This is a minor inconvenience that is easily fixed if it happens.

Samse26
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Samse26 » Sat May 01, 2021 10:29 am

steve wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:40 pm
We can give you instructions for how to run the new version as a self-contained "portable" version, so that the two versions don't interfere with each other. Our regular testers are usually running multiple versions at the same time, so plenty of advice on hand to help.
Could you please share instructions for running a different version in parallel? On one of my systems I have 3.0.0 installed which shows some odd behavior when loading a (2.x) project. I'd like to switch between this and my previous 2.4.2 to compare the behavior - preferably preserving the "Main" 3.0 installation and having 2.4.2 portable (Win8.1, other systems Win10)
Thanks.