Limiter crashes

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 3.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 3.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Drexel
Operating System: Windows 10

Limiter crashes

Post by Drexel » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:14 pm

Hello,

when I run the limiter on tracks > 1 hour it crashes at aproximately 2/3 progress. Reproducable on 2 files.

This didn't hapen on 2.X. I am aware that the noise gate has RAM limitations on long tracks, is the same now true for the limiter? When I use the limiter on both halfs of track seperately it works fine.

Regards
Matthias

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Limiter crashes

Post by steve » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:51 pm

Drexel wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:14 pm
I am aware that the noise gate has RAM limitations on long tracks, is the same now true for the limiter?
It is right now, but it shouldn't be (it's a bug). In fact the same problem currently affects most Nyquist effects.
The developers are looking into it and hope to have it fixed for Audacity 3.0.1.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Drexel
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Drexel » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:55 am

Thank you again for quick clarification. :)

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:03 am

As you have probably worked out for yourself, the workaround until the bug is fixed, is to process long tracks in smaller sections.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

batsonjay
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by batsonjay » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:06 pm

FYI, I confirm I'm seeing the limiter crash, too. Screen recording here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/94tecxj8qbb0l ... h.mov?dl=0

As background, what's my use case for "long" limiting? I'm a DJ, and record a single, long set (in Traktor). I have historically edited the resulting recording with the following workflow:
- Select all track
- Apply limiter (set to roughly a mid-point between lowest volume track and loudest) (broken in 3.0.0)
- Select all track
- Apply compressor with makeup gain. (Sometimes simply amplify instead, but compressor seems to sound better afterwards.)