Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 3.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 3.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
questionlp
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:56 am
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Post by questionlp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 am

I just made the jump to version 3.0.0 on my 16" MBP running Big Sur (11.2.3) and haven't run into any show-stoppers yet. That said, there are two things that feel like one step-forward and half-step back.

1. Love the fact that I can now copy, paste and do a select all in the file name field in the Export file save dialog; but, pressing the keystrokes for them all cause the alert sound to play. The copy, paste and select all action work, but it's annoying to hear beeps and boops each time.

2. The Edit Metadata Tags model saves the position, but not the size of the modal. In recent versions, if I expanded the width of the modal, it will mostly stick (but shrink slightly each time, annoying but workable). Now, it pops back to the default size. This is annoying when extracting clips and tagging a bunch of them with longer strings.

I'll probably move back to 2.4.2 for now as #2 is a bigger annoyance when working with 30+ clips a session/day.
Last edited by steve on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved to "feedback and reviews"

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Posts: 14605
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:03 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Post by waxcylinder » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:50 am

questionlp wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 am
2. The Edit Metadata Tags model saves the position, but not the size of the modal. In recent versions, if I expanded the width of the modal, it will mostly stick (but shrink slightly each time, annoying but workable). Now, it pops back to the default size. This is annoying when extracting clips and tagging a bunch of them with longer strings.

I'll probably move back to 2.4.2 for now as #2 is a bigger annoyance when working with 30+ clips a session/day.
Good catch :) 8-)

My testing on W10 shows this to be a regression on 2.3.3 with the issue being introduced in 2.4.0 - so I'm surprised when you say it works on 2.4.2.

BTW the size retention Metadata Editor size retention is obvuiosly something that we in introduced in the 2.0.x series - as 2.0 fails to retain the size, but 2.1.0 does do so,

I will be logging this as a P2 regression bug.

Thanks for the report.

Update: I also note that there is a further regression on 2.1.2 as after that the horizontal size change is not retained

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Posts: 14605
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:03 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Post by waxcylinder » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 pm

Part 2) logged as P2 regression bug #2696
https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2696
Metadata Editor: changed size is not remembered/restored on next use

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

steve
Site Admin
Posts: 80849
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Post by steve » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:42 pm

questionlp wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:10 am
The copy, paste and select all action work, but it's annoying to hear beeps and boops each time.
I'd not noticed this, so I've been trying it out.

The "boop" comes from macOS rather than Audacity (Audacity does not have any "boops" itself), and it only occurs for me if the project already has a name and I'm changing the name of the project. For a new project (with no name), there is no "boop", so I assume that this is just macOS alerting you to the fact that you are changing the name.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

questionlp
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:56 am
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Re: Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Post by questionlp » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:04 am

waxcylinder wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:50 am
My testing on W10 shows this to be a regression on 2.3.3 with the issue being introduced in 2.4.0 - so I'm surprised when you say it works on 2.4.2.
Sorry, didn't get a chance to check back in until after work. It's not perfect in 2.4.2 as it still gradually shrinks each time the modal is opened. It's just that it doesn't go back to the default size, at least that's how it's been since moving away from 2.1.1 due to macOS no longer supporting 32-bit applications.

It was just jarring to see it regress in 3.0.0.

questionlp
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:56 am
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Re: Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Post by questionlp » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:07 am

steve wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:42 pm
I'd not noticed this, so I've been trying it out.

The "boop" comes from macOS rather than Audacity (Audacity does not have any "boops" itself), and it only occurs for me if the project already has a name and I'm changing the name of the project. For a new project (with no name), there is no "boop", so I assume that this is just macOS alerting you to the fact that you are changing the name.
Before the copy, paste or select all was broken in the Export File modal post-2.1.1, there wasn't a system boop sound. I know that it started making that sound when it was broken in later version. It's odd that it would still make that sound considering that no other Export File modal in other applications make that sound when pressing CMD+A, CMD+C or CMD+V (which is something I also do a lot in Photoshop, BBEdit, etc.).

steve
Site Admin
Posts: 80849
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Post by steve » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:45 am

questionlp wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:07 am
It's odd that it would still make that sound considering that no other Export File modal in other applications...
It may be because in the case of this one dialog, it is not only changing the name of the file being written to disk, but is also changing the name of the current project in the app.

I agree that it's a bit odd, but then I find a lot of things about Macs seem odd to me ;)
I'll ask our Mac developers for clarification.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Posts: 14605
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:03 am
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Post by waxcylinder » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:33 pm

waxcylinder wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:08 pm
Part 2) logged as P2 regression bug #2696
https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2696
Metadata Editor: changed size is not remembered/restored on next use
This bug has been fixed for the next release 3.0.1
https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2696

Peter
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

questionlp
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:56 am
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Re: Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Post by questionlp » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:30 pm

Awesome! Looking forward to 3.0.1 to be released. Thanks everyone!

arniec
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 pm
Operating System: Please select

Re: Annoyances with Audacity 3.0.0

Post by arniec » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:09 pm

I posted in another thread, but if we're listing Annoyances with Audacity 3--the removal of "Save Compressed Project" is a huge one.

I collaborate on projects with people all over the globe. Compressed projects made it manageable for us to get files back and forth at a few hundred meg. Now the projects are all several GB in size.

So I'm stuck on Audacity 2.x.x unless this feature can be restored in some capacity.

Post Reply