Envelope Tool randomly creating envelopes throughout audio

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 3.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 3.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
billw58
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Re: Envelope Tool randomly creating envelopes throughout audio

Post by billw58 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:05 pm

Anna:
It is quite possible that there is something wrong with those old projects that is causing the multiple-envelope bug to keep appearing, although (as far as I know) the bug was in Audacity, and should not occur when using versions of Audacity later than 3.0.4.

I'm not recommending that you use the web version of Audacity - quite the opposite.

I cannot reproduce the problem with a new project with "raw" audio using Audacity 3.2.1 on a Macbook Air running macOS 13.0.1. For example:

Before deleting audio from Track1 (using the Multi-tool so I can watch the envelope points while editing the audio)
Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 6.02.00 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 6.02.00 PM.png (377.23 KiB) Viewed 97 times
After deleting some audio in Track1
Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 6.02.30 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 6.02.30 PM.png (355.26 KiB) Viewed 97 times

jademan
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Post by jademan » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:50 pm

Anna BRITstralian wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:43 pm
I have tried creating a new project file with two separate tracks of raw audio and I noticed that if I insert envelopes on the track, when I make edits elsewhere on the track (cut / paste / split / join etc), the envelopes on that track disappear. Only the envelopes on the track that I edit disappear, they remain on the other tracks.
Yes, so I am also unable to reproduce this issue on 3.2.1 with Windows when I use Generate to create two new tracks in a new project.

If you care to, please provide detailed instructions on how to reproduce the issue and/or upload your project then post or PM me a link. I'll take a look at it; however, possibly not until after Turkey Day = Thanksgiving here in the states.
Audacity Volunteer

Anna BRITstralian

Post by Anna BRITstralian » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:54 pm

Hi both,

There are no specifics as to when this happens - it just occurs randomly (it could be 3 edits in or 10 edits in). This is what makes it particularly frustrating as when I am zoomed into a particular section of the wave and making many meticulous edits, I zoom out and find multiple envelopes on the track. It means undoing all of my work.

Unfortunately I am unable to share the audio I am working on.

Do you have any other suggestions?
I have used the Nyquist prompt and whilst it works to initially resolve the issue at the time, more envelopes reoccur later. This is not a solution for me because I need to add a few envelopes and end up losing them with the Nyquist prompt

Anna BRITstralian

Post by Anna BRITstralian » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi Just adding an update - the envelope points that I have created disappear when I cut and paste a small bit of audio. I am cutting and pasting from two tracks simultaneously and the envelope points on both tracks didappear.