Perhaps there could be a Help button to the Manual there. That would help for a number of other places in the interface too.
From my PoV the 2nd proposal would violateWould "Sent Rate" for playback and "Received Rate" when recording be any better?
I also think the message is OK as long as "Actual" is replaced by "Current" (and maybe " Hz" is appended), same in the documentation.
From my PoV the 1st proposal would absolutely be helpful and I think the most efficient way would be:
- In the clickable image in "Program Files (x86)/Audacity/help/manual/index.html", the number "18" should be moved to the right, e.g. to the middle below the two "Selection Position boxes", so as to avoid the impression that "18" is (only) closely related to the transport status "Stopped." while it refers to the complete status bar.
- The image should reflect the transport status "Playing Paused." as then the current rate display would also be visible.
- in status_bar.html, "Actual" should be replaced by "Current" in the text and in the images (many occurrences).
- Closely related: subject_index.html: "Actual Rate" --> "Current Rate".
I have performed a text search for "actual" through all .html files and in the majority the meaning is "real" with the following exceptions:
- custom_ffmpeg_export_options.html: "The actual formats and codecs available in the lists" --> "The current formats and codecs available in the lists"
- device.html: "the actual physical sound device" --> "the current physical sound device"
- glossary.html: "the notes actually being played" --> "the notes currently being played"
- keyboard_preferences.html: "the actual key bindings themselves" --> "the current key bindings themselves"
- new_features_in_this_release.html: "Move the actual build information" --> "Move the current build information"
- note_tracks.html: "to match the actual notes in the channels" --> "to match the current notes in the channels"
- tutorial_mixing_a_narration_with_background_music.html: "much longer than your actual production" --> "much longer than your current production"