Macro to crossfeed L&R

Questions, discussion and recipes for scripting and batch processing in Audacity.
See also the "Scripting" section of the Audacity manual.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
jlparsons
Operating System: Please select

Macro to crossfeed L&R

Post by jlparsons » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 am

Hi all, I'm looking to make a macro to do the following actions automatically which I can do relatively easily in Audacity;
  • split a stereo track
  • assign each of the resulting tracks to 80% their original channel and 20% the opposite
  • Output as Mp3
I seem to be falling down at the first hurdle. Any idea if this is possible via a macro?

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Macro to crossfeed L&R

Post by Trebor » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:56 am

jlparsons wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 am
... assign each of the resulting tracks to 80% their original channel and 20% the opposite ...
Steve's channel-mixer plugin does that sort of thing.

jademan
Forum Crew
Operating System: Please select

Re: Macro to crossfeed L&R

Post by jademan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:22 pm

jlparsons wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 am
Hi all, I'm looking to make a macro to do the following actions automatically which I can do relatively easily in Audacity;
split a stereo track
assign each of the resulting tracks to 80% their original channel and 20% the opposite
Output as Mp3
I seem to be falling down at the first hurdle. Any idea if this is possible via a macro?
I think you are right. I am not sure that many of the controls in the Track Control Panel are available as macros. :( However, there is another approach using stereo to mono conversion. If you haven't already built steve's effect into a macro, you can try this one:

Code: Select all

Duplicate:
SelectTracks:Mode="Set" Track="0"
Amplify:Ratio="0.63241184"
SelectTracks:Mode="Set" Track="1"
StereoToMono:Use_Preset="<Factory Defaults>"
Amplify:Ratio="0.31622776"
SelectAll:
ExportMp3:
The math is simply percent to dB ration conversion 101. ;) It gives results that correspond closely with steve's plug-in, which is, of course, much easier to use. :D