n00b can't set focus with macro?

been trying to create my first macros and having trouble. been trying to set track focus using either ‘set track’ or ‘set track status’. neither gives me the yellow ‘focus’ outline i’m expecting on any the track.

i can successdfully open a project and select a track using ‘select tracks’ but seem unable to set focus and get the yellow focus outline. the manual doesn’t seem to have much on these commands. not sure why there are two checkboxes side by side for both ‘focus’ and ‘selected’ in each. tried checking every combination and never get focus.

can someone show me how to set trck focus with a macro?

thanks,
babag

A limitation of Macros in Audacity 2.4.2 is that after the Macro has run, track focus is always returned to the first track in the project.

Setting track focus in a Macro does work within the Macro. For example you can set track focus and then solo the focussed track, but on completion of the Macro, focus goes to the first track.

In the next version of Audacity focus behaves in a more intuitive way - if you set focus to a particular track in a Macro, then focus remains there when the Macro finishes.

thanks steve.

the new behavior will indeed be better. is there any documentation on the ‘set track status’ window? i’m confused as to why there are two checkboxes for ‘selection’ and ‘focus.’ can’t figure out which to check or if i should check both.

thanks again,
babag

Create an Audacity project with two or more tracks, then try this:

If you click on the top audio track, notice that the box on the left end of the track changes colour. That indicates that the track is “selected”.
Notice also that there is a yellow border around the track. That indicates that the track has “focus”.
No press the “Down” cursor key on your keyboard. Notice that the yellow border has moved to the next track. That indicates that “track focus” has moved to the next track.
Press the “Enter” key. Notice that the focussed track is now selected (along with the first track).
Press “Enter” again and the track “selection” toggles off (but it still has “focus”).

Track “focus” is mostly used for selecting tracks. There is never more than one track that has focus.

Track “selection” is mostly used to determine which tracks will be acted on by edit commands or effects. There may be any number of tracks selected at one time.

thanks again, steve. very clear. still confused about the two checkboxes in the ‘set track status’ window, though.

babag

The tick boxes on the determine whether that feature should be used. When not selected, that feature does nothing.
The second tick box determines whether the feature is set to “on” or “off”.

This shows:

1. The track name will not be changed
  2. Track selectedness will be set to “not selected”
  3. Track focus will be set to “not focused”

settrack.png

AH! that explains the ‘0’ or ‘1’ . thanks!

Steve,

Thanks for explaining that. I wondered about those checkboxes also.