Bug when applying MP3 conversion

Questions, discussion and recipes for scripting and batch processing in Audacity.
See also the "Scripting" section of the Audacity manual.
Forum rules
If you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Bug when applying MP3 conversion

Post by steve » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:05 pm

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:22 pm
another reason that I don't do SMS
:D
steve wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:02 am
I'll try that FLAC file on a Windows machine and see if I can reproduce the issue there.
I've tested, using the macro and Flac files that you provided, with Audacity 3.1.3 on Windows 10. I was not able to reproduce the crash - it worked as expected.

As a test, perhaps you could try changing the location of the macro-export folder. For example, try setting it to your Desktop.

If that makes no difference, you could try doing a complete reset of Audacity's settings:
With Audacity closed. move the files:
  • audacity.cfg
  • pluginregistry.cfg
  • pluginsettings.cfg
to a safe backup location (so that you can move them back again to restore the Prefs), then restart Audacity.
Learn more about Nyquist programming at audionyq.com

ChrisGreaves
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Post by ChrisGreaves » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:03 pm

steve wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:05 pm
As a test, perhaps you could try changing the location of the macro-export folder. For example, try setting it to your Desktop. If that makes no difference, you could try doing a complete reset of Audacity's settings: to a safe backup location (so that you can move them back again to restore the Prefs), then restart Audacity.
Hello Steve.
As a good scientist I changed one aspect at a time:-

(1) I moved the three configuration files (and updated my AutoExec,bat to add the two plugin settings to my daily safe copies), executed the FLAC, and then Tools, Apply macro "MP3 Conversion". Crashed and sent report about fifteen minutes prior to this post.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (18.6 KiB) Viewed 98 times
(2) Then I Ctrl+P reset my macro output from B: to Desktop, and (image above) it appears to have worked. At any rate, it ran to conclusion.

I have only recently (past month?) been using B: as my macro output drive.

B: is a drive letter assigned to my daily blotter file by the autoexec.bat, as in:-

Code: Select all

::
::	Make the daily blotter folder as drive "B"lotter
::
		@echo. |date
		@set yr=%date:~6,4%
		@set mt=%date:~0,2%
		@set dy=%date:~3,2%
		SET DAILY=%YR%%MT%%DY%
		SET FIRSTBOOTOFTHEDAY=
		if not exist T:\Blotter\%DAILY%		SET FIRSTBOOTOFTHEDAY=Y
		if not exist T:\Blotter\%DAILY%		MD T:\Blotter\%DAILY%
		if not exist B:\NUL subst B: T:\Blotter\%DAILY%
What is B:, to which I was directing macro-outoput?
Drive B: is a DOS SUBST for (today) "T:\Blotter\20220922", but yesterday as "T:\Blotter\20220921" and tomorrow will be "T:\Blotter\20220923".
Just like the fresh desktop blotter we used to see fifty years ago after the cleaning lady had removed the top layer of the blotter pad and discarded all our doodles, lunch dates, and Important Telephone Numbers and tossed that data into the rubbish bin.

I start each day with a fresh B:, you see.

What is T:?
T: is the Veracrypt assigned drive letter to a large encrypted partition on the only HDD in the laptop.

So, I am suggesting that the MP3 be written
via a SUBST
via an encryption
to a hard drive.

Right now my money is on Audacity getting confused with two or three layers of redirection, especially the DOS SUBST command

I await your next suggestion (which may well be "Stop using DOS SUBST for Audacity files!")

Thanks, Chris

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:07 pm

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:03 pm
I await your next suggestion (which may well be "Stop using DOS SUBST for Audacity files!")
Haha, yes :D

Though perhaps you could try using a symlink to the "B: drive". (I'm not sure exactly how symbolic links work on Windows, but could be worth a try.)

ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:16 pm

steve wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:07 pm
Though perhaps you could try using a symlink to the "B: drive". (I'm not sure exactly how symbolic links work on Windows, but could be worth a try.)
I aimed at B: because it is a permanent location (rather than my transient RamDisk E:) and provides an archiving mechanism if all else fails (stretching backup to probably 2012).
I shall essay using T:\Blotter\
That leaves my audio-book folders un-cluttered and still provides an audit-trail,

Question: Now that we think we know the problem, do you get to flag the latest few bug reports as "fixed" so that no-one spends time poring over the entrails?

Cheers, Chris

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:03 pm

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:16 pm
Now that we think we know the problem
Do we know the problem yet? Is it SUBST causing the problem, or the encryption, or something else?

waxcylinder

Post by waxcylinder » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:31 pm

If you are using top level B: as your location for Macro output then that is the problem as there is a known and logged issue for that:
Audacity crashes on export from Macros to a top level drive #2471
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/issues/2471

I logged this on 25Jan22 abs sadly this remains open and unfixed ...

Peter
Audacity Old-timer

ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:48 am

waxcylinder wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:31 pm
I logged this on 25Jan22 abs sadly this remains open and unfixed ...
Hello Peter.
"example F:\ it crashes! ... With path: F:\macro it works ..."
As I understand it, then, if in my Autoexec.bat I (daily) created not only a SUBStituted drive B:, but went on to MD a folder "B:\Stuff\", then my macro-output could be stored on drive B ...

On my decrypted partition drive T: I have a permanent folder "T:\_Spare\" where are archived older copies of MSWord's Normal.dot template. I could as well direct macro-output to T:\_spare\

In my case, the bug was triggered because macro output was directed to the root folder of a drive, correct?

Thanks, Chris