Saving Macro Exports in 3.0.2rc01

Feedback and bug reports for Audacity 3.0.3 alpha
Forum rules
This forum is only for feedback and bug reports for the specified version of Audacity.

All bug reports must include the following information:
  • Exact version number of Audacity
  • Operating system version
  • Brief description of the problem
  • Detailed, step by step instructions for how to reproduce the problem
Bug reports that do not include the above information will be deleted

Additional information and / or screenshots should be included as necessary to adequately describe the problem.
FL Coast
Operating System: Windows 10

Saving Macro Exports in 3.0.2rc01

Post by FL Coast » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:07 pm

I know you guys have been working a way to save files to a specific directory and it seems to work well (from what I have tested) in the latest developer’s version I downloaded. The one thing I am missing though, ever since I created a Macro back in version 2.1.2, I could drag a file onto the opened Audacity screen from whatever directory it was in, and when I was finished working on the file I would click on my macro (that exports to WAV and MP3) it would save the files in a newly generated micro-output folder in the directory of the original file and export the finished files into that folder. This worked every time, no mater which directory I pulled the file from, it would always create the output folder in the directory the original file came from.

I downloaded 3.0.2rc01 last night just to see the improvements before the final product. What I noticed was this developer’s version does not mimic the previous version (including 3.0.0) in creating the output folder in the original directory. Is this by design or is it a bug from other changes. This will be a headache for me if it is by design unless there is another way to accomplish this that I have not found. When I first did the export by macro and I finally found the macro-output folder created, it was in a Newley created folder(s):

audacity-win-3.0.0rc06/Portable Settings/Macros/macro-output/Completed Files .WAV and .MP3

Yes, I tested 3.0.0rc06 and Yes, I always download the zip file versions all the way back to 2.1.2 (personal preference) but I deleted all of those files and folders when the final version came out. It could have been a config file hangover since I had moved the Portable Setting folder from 3.0.0rc06 into the finished 3.0.0, and moved the Portable Files folder from that version into 3.0.2rc01. I then delete the pluginregistry.cfg in the new version to let it rebuild. All of this has worked fine in the past, maybe that is not the case moving forward???

I deleted the Macro and rebuilt it, same results. I exported to the folder where the original file is using the wav and mp3 exports to that folder and then using the macro, Same Results.

Your thoughts?

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Saving Macro Exports in 3.0.2rc01

Post by steve » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:47 pm

FL Coast wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:07 pm
What I noticed was this developer’s version does not mimic the previous version (including 3.0.0) in creating the output folder in the original directory. Is this by design or is it a bug from other changes.
The current behavior is described here: https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/ma ... references
FL Coast wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:07 pm
This will be a headache for me
Why?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

FL Coast

Post by FL Coast » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 pm

Thanks for the quick replay Steve
steve wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:47 pm
The current behavior is described here: https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/ma ... references
Yeah, I knew this in 3.0.0, but what I didn't realize was in 3.0.2rc01 Macros had been added to the list for directory locations.
FL Coast wrote: ↑Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:07 am
This will be a headache for me
steve wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:47 pm
Why?

I work in a lot of different folders each day. Sometimes I work in the same folders several times per day. Given this change, I will have to work on the files and then stop, move this files to that particular folder, before moving to the next folder so not to loose track of what files belong where. Maybe there is a simple solution I am not seeing, because like most people, I am a creature of habit.

I'm sure this is probably a unique situation to me, but it will add significant time to the process. Hate to see this ability disappear.

I don't know, but IF there was a way to add a wild card to that field so it would write the macro-output folder back to the files home folder.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm

FL Coast wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:41 pm
Given this change, I will have to work on the files and then stop, move this files to that particular folder,
What is your macro doing?
What do you do with the files that have been processed by the macro?

FL Coast

Post by FL Coast » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:34 pm

steve wrote: What is your macro doing?
Exporting a WAV and MP3 file.
steve wrote: What do you do with the files that have been processed by the macro?
The MP3 file is forwarded to the client and the WAV file is retained until further notice from the client. Therefore it is important these files return to the client's folder after processing. That is why it is hard to set one folder to catch all processed files. Not impossible, but difficult.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 pm

I think there's probably a way to do what you want.

Are you applying the macro to an Audacity project, or to a selection of audio files?
Please attach the actual macro ".txt" file to your reply.

FL Coast

Post by FL Coast » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:52 pm

steve wrote: I think there's probably a way to do what you want.
That would be GREAT
steve wrote: Are you applying the macro to an Audacity project, or to a selection of audio files?
It would be to the entire project. By doing what I described above, it leaves the original file unchanged in the original folder while placing the new files in the macro-output folder. The if we have to go back and make changes to the edited file in the macro-output folder, we will again use the export macro as this will create another micro-output folder with the newer files in the original micro-output folder. That way it creates a VERSION trail and we can go back to any of them until the client reaches their decision. We have had to go back one or two versions.
steve wrote: Please attach the actual macro ".txt" file to your reply.
Sure, it is the very basic of a basic macro.
ExportWav:
ExportMp3:
Attachments
WAV+MP3 Export.txt
(24 Bytes) Downloaded 10 times

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:47 am

FL Coast wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:52 pm
By doing what I described above, it leaves the original file unchanged in the original folder while placing the new files in the macro-output folder.
What is "the original file"? Are you just importing an audio file into Audacity and exporting it in different formats?

FL Coast

Post by FL Coast » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:15 am

steve wrote: What is "the original file"?
The original files are mostly AAC and occasionally MP3. That's the reason for WAV export for future edits if needed. The client request return in MP3.
steve wrote: Are you just importing an audio file into Audacity and exporting it in different formats?
All audio files are edited, if needed, before export.

A little confused about your last 2 questions! Hoping that means your working on something to help my dilemma going forward. Thanks

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 am

FL Coast wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:15 am
Hoping that means your working on something to help my dilemma going forward.
Yes I am, but I'm struggling to understand your use case. I'm sure you have good reasons, but I'm trying to picture your workflow and looks back to front :?

Why are your original files in a lossy compressed format?
Why do you use a macro when you could simply just export?
Why do you even use Audacity when there are apps specifically designed for format conversion?
Why are you converting one file at a time when the "client" requires it, rather than converting all of them in one go before putting them into individual per-client folders?

The exact order that you are doing things is important to the possible solution that I'm considering, so it's important that I understand what you are doing.