It is possible to install Audacity 3 on Linux without compromising the 2.4.2 install?

Feedback and bug reports for Audacity 3.0.3 alpha
Forum rules
This forum is only for feedback and bug reports for the specified version of Audacity.

All bug reports must include the following information:
  • Exact version number of Audacity
  • Operating system version
  • Brief description of the problem
  • Detailed, step by step instructions for how to reproduce the problem
Bug reports that do not include the above information will be deleted

Additional information and / or screenshots should be included as necessary to adequately describe the problem.
Geolgar
Operating System: Linux *buntu

It is possible to install Audacity 3 on Linux without compromising the 2.4.2 install?

Post by Geolgar » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:16 am

Basically the title said my question.
I want to test audacity 3 on my linux computer but I don't want mess the install of 2.4.2.
Or it helps if I test it using Wine?

steve
Site Admin

Re: It is possible to install Audacity 3 on Linux without compromising the 2.4.2 install?

Post by steve » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:18 am

Geolgar wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:16 am
I want to test audacity 3 on my linux computer but I don't want mess the install of 2.4.2.
To test the Audacity 3.0.0 release candidate properly (on Linux) it needs to be installed.

Testing in Wine is not particularly useful for us because any problems found are most likely to be due to Wine environment rather than the Audacity app itself.

If you just want to try out Audacity, probably the best way would be to make a bootable USB "Live" Linux. Many Linux distros support "try before you install, for example: https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubuntu ... ng-started
The performance takes a hit when running from a USB thumb drive, but at least Audacity will be running on real hardware.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Geolgar

Re: It is possible to install Audacity 3 on Linux without compromising the 2.4.2 install?

Post by Geolgar » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:31 pm

Ok. I will see what can I do.
Thanks!