RC5 - Highlight not extending across all selected tracks

Feedback and bug reports for Audacity 3.0.3 alpha
Forum rules
This forum is only for feedback and bug reports for the specified version of Audacity.

All bug reports must include the following information:
  • Exact version number of Audacity
  • Operating system version
  • Brief description of the problem
  • Detailed, step by step instructions for how to reproduce the problem
Bug reports that do not include the above information will be deleted

Additional information and / or screenshots should be included as necessary to adequately describe the problem.
ChrisSW
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

RC5 - Highlight not extending across all selected tracks

Post by ChrisSW » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:04 am

Selecting multiple tracks - the highlight only extends as far as the shortest track, and not across the full length of the longer tracks. This means that any effect applied does not affect the whole track. See attached screenshot.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 09.59.05.png
Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 09.59.05.png (191.33 KiB) Viewed 581 times

James Crook
Operating System: Please select

Re: RC5 - Highlight not extending across all selected tracks

Post by James Crook » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:11 am

Selecting multiple tracks - the highlight only extends as far as the shortest track, and not across the full length of the longer tracks. This means that any effect applied does not affect the whole track. See attached screenshot.
How are you selecting? With Ctrl+A or Select All from the Select menu, I get the full length.

I only get shorter selection if I've started off by selecting a short track and then add tracks. That's as expected.

Are you finding this is a regression on (i.e. is different to) 2.4.2?

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:56 am

I can't reproduce this on W10 with RC06

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

ChrisSW

Post by ChrisSW » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:40 pm

Hi James,

It happens where, say, I select via the Select button the first and last track in a group with CMD-click, or when CMD-clcking on individual tracks to add them to the selection. By using the Select button, logically, the entire track should be selected and added and this is how it worked on 2.4.2, as I remember - certainly how I used to use it.

James Crook
Operating System: Please select

Post by James Crook » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:54 pm

By using the Select button, logically, the entire track should be selected and added and this is how it worked on 2.4.2, as I remember - certainly how I used to use it.
Maybe more logical than what we do, but it is the same behaviour in 2.4.2. Select selects a track, and then additional cmd+selects add more tracks WITHOUT changing the time selected. That's so that if you make a drag-selection for just a few seconds you can add more tracks with cmd+select without losing that selection.

I suspect you in the past selected on the longest track first, and so you already had an end-to-end selection, and were just adding more tracks to that, preserving the time selection.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:58 pm

ChrisSW wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:40 pm
By using the Select button, logically, the entire track should be selected and added and this is how it worked on 2.4.2
I've checked back through to Audacity 2.2.1 and the behaviour is unchanged.

1. The Select button (in early versions, click in an empty part of the track's control panel) selects the current track, from the start of the audio to the end of the audio.

2. Command + Click (Ctrl + Click for Windows / Linux) extends the selection to the track clicked. The start / end of the selection does not change.

If I recall correctly, this behaviour goes back for a very long time.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:04 pm

James Crook wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:54 pm
Maybe more logical than what we do
but there needs to be a convenient way to extend a selection to other tracks without changing the start / end time.
It's easy enough to extend the selection if required (Windows / Linux: Shift + Home / End), but if the selection is lost there's no easy way to restore it. The current behaviour is MUCH more useful imo than the suggested "more logical" behaviour.

ChrisSW

Post by ChrisSW » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:18 pm

Maybe more useful depending on how you use Audacity! :) I get multiple tracks, as shown, of differing lengths from multiple users, using different kit and with differing volume, background noise etc., and the first thing I would like to do is get everyone to the same level to start to edit and balance. Selecting part of a track in that case is not helpful.

I've thought of a work round where I select ALL tracks and then unselect the ones I don't want, like the accompaniment track in the screen shot. Thanks for checking it anyway.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:44 pm

ChrisSW wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:18 pm
the first thing I would like to do is get everyone to the same level to start to edit and balance. Selecting part of a track in that case is not helpful.
"Select menu > All" ( "Command + A" on macOS. "Ctrl + A" Windows / Linux)