3.0 RC5: Problem | Filename with accented characters

Feedback and bug reports for Audacity 3.0.3 alpha
Forum rules
This forum is only for feedback and bug reports for the specified version of Audacity.

All bug reports must include the following information:
  • Exact version number of Audacity
  • Operating system version
  • Brief description of the problem
  • Detailed, step by step instructions for how to reproduce the problem
Bug reports that do not include the above information will be deleted

Additional information and / or screenshots should be included as necessary to adequately describe the problem.
Antoine
Operating System: Windows 10

3.0 RC5: Problem | Filename with accented characters

Post by Antoine » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:21 pm

Hi!

I have been using the Audacity 3.0 RC5 since yesterday.
(Windows 10 x64 here, Audacity RC instaled in the a different folder than Audacity stable.)

I've have had one little problem, which could be a bug, and I didn't see it listed in the dynamic bugs list I saw.

Summary of the problem:
If we do something in Audacity (open or record any audio...) and save the project (.aup3) with accented characters in the filename (for example, "02-14 Marcos, o moço valente da Groelândia", without quotes, or simply "lá lê", without quotes), it saves 2 files (one in normal size, with the correct name, and other less than 1 MB, with corrupted characters instead of the accented).

When trying to open any of them, gives error and does not open the file: window "File Error -> Audacity failed to read a file in C:.". If we remove the accented characters of the filename before opening, it says in a window: "Project Recovered -> This project was not saved properly the last time Audacity ran. It has been recovered to the last snapshot, but you must save it to preserve its contents.", but opens the file.

So, the suggestion is the new Audacity could accept accented filenames, if possible.

Long description (unnecessary to read if the summary is correct as general report):
-I thought the problem was with importing from 2.4.2 and saving in the new format-
I used it to continue the work in an audio I was already working in Audacity 2.4.2. It was a story read from a book (12 min audio), which I finished recording in the stable version, and then, in 3.0 RC, I adeed music. When I Saved As the project, there was no progress bar and it didn't save, so, I tried to save with other name and in other folder, Desktop. Again, there was no progress bar, but soon after the .aup3 file was in the Desktop. Unfortunately, it was broken (does not open). I've got 2 files (238MB and 320 KB), and here they are if useful to detect why the problem.
Audacity 2 file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/snla7646nfve5 ... e.zip?dl=0
Audacity 3 file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4l02905tgp4a9 ... d.zip?dl=0

Error when opening: window "File Error -> Audacity failed to read a file in C:."

The file name have accented words, so I tried to remove them directly in the saved .aup3, and then it opened. Seems ok, but there is the warning when opening: window "Project Recovered -> This project was not saved properly the last time Audacity ran. It has been recovered to the last snapshot, but you must save it to preserve its contents."

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Re: 3.0 RC5: Problem | Filename with accented characters

Post by waxcylinder » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:47 pm

Yes I see what you mean - I just tested on W10 with RC05

It's very late here (in the UK) now - so I'll work on logging this bug tomorrow.

Many thanks for the report Antoine - much appreciated 8-)

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:20 am

This was logged by our lead developer James last night - and soon after another developer Leland fixed it.

I QA tested it on W10 and Mac Big Sur with the latest alpha test build and it now Saves and reopens the project with accented (Unicode) characters in the project filename.

There is a slight residual on W10 whereby a temporary compaction file is left behind

See: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2688

I also tested accented (Unicode) characters in
a) Export of audio files
b) Export of label files
c) Labels themselves
d) Export Multiple
All worked fine

Many thanks for the testing and the report Antoine , great catch - very much appreciated :) 8-)

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

Antoine

Post by Antoine » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi, Peter. I thank you a lot for receiving and working on this!

Thank you!

Antoine