DESTRUCTIVE NOISE GATE BUG.

Using Audacity 2.1.3

This is the third time that running Noise Gate results in an irreparable crash that not only deletes all content from the audacity file that I’m working on…
but also any other audacity windows which are open and replaces the entire file Audacity file with silence.

Labels are still there, All audio is gone.

I can understand how a crash would remove everything I’ve worked on since my last save.
I cannot understand how a crash completely nullifies every save I’ve made in the last week and replaces the entire audio file with silence.

I save before using plugins because I know sometimes a plug in causes a crash.
But…
I shouldn’t HAVE TO export my work as a WAV file every 20 minutes for fear of my program deleting every ounce of work I’ve done over the past week when applying a plugin.

As of today, after many years of use, I will be switching to a different program to edit audio.
Please fix this bug.

Audacity 2.1.3 is a very old version of Audacity.
Within the next few weeks, Audacity 2.3.0 will be released. There have been a lot of bugs fixed since 2.1.3.
The current version is 2.2.2 and is available via the Audacity website: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Which noise gate are you using? (Audacity does not ship with a noise gate)
Are you applying the effect to a very long track?

I will be switching to a different program to edit audio.

Which one?

Koz

I wasn’t aware I wasn’t using the most up to date version of Audacity.

I am using audacity for editing a podcast, and it does seem to only happen when applying it to long tracks (+45 minutes)

The only plugin I’ve added to audacity is Chris’ Compress Dynamics 1.2.6 and also downloaded the codecs to export to MP3.

It’s just very disheartening to see all of those .aup files in their respective folders for the project. Having checked, most of them have bits of the file in them, but the automatic crash recovery tool is unable to pull up anything at all.

I’ve had crashes before and the automatic crash recovery normally works to recover the whole file, if not, at the very least, the majority of it.

I’m also confused because the other two audacity windows I had open, I wasn’t applying Noise Gate to.
Those were also unrecoverable after crash.

I have just updated to the current version of Audacity as suggested.

I believe the previous version may have had a Noise Gate installed, as the only two things I changed on from stock was installing the codec to export to MP3 and Chris Compress Dynamics 1.2.6.

I can understand that running the noise gate on the audacity file would mess with that specific file during the crash and make it unrecoverable.
I’m willing to accept that.

I’m not willing to accept that the crash made both of the OTHER audacity files I had open also became unrecoverable.

I’m just trying to wrap my head around it.

I’ve attached the logs below.
Audacity Log 2.txt (67.7 KB)
Audacity Log.txt (10.4 KB)

There are several Nyquist plug-ins that crash badly on long files, particularly older ones. When Nyquist was introduced into Audacity (well over a decade ago), it was not anticipated that people would be using it on tracks longer than a few minutes. Not all Nyquist plug-ins suffer from this problem, but you should definitely test Nyquist plug-ins thoroughly before using them on long production jobs.

New Nyquist plug-ins are becoming safer as we now have more mechanisms for catching problems before they go critical. It will also help when Audacity goes 64-bit (due to be happening soon).

The most recent version of Noise Gate is available on the Audacity wiki: Missing features - Audacity Support

Well you must have downloaded this one too, because it has never been shipped with Audacity.