What to Expect in Audacity 3.2!

Feedback and bug reports for the latest alpha version.

Discussions posted here will be archived in the Audacity 3.x Feedback and Reviews archive.
Forum rules
This forum is only for feedback and bug reports for the most recent Audacity alpha version.

All bug reports must include the following information:
  • Exact version number of Audacity
  • Operating system version
  • Brief description of the problem
  • Detailed, step by step instructions for how to reproduce the problem
Bug reports that do not include the above information will be deleted

Additional information and / or screenshots should be included as necessary to adequately describe the problem.
AudacityTeam
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

What to Expect in Audacity 3.2!

Post by AudacityTeam » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:02 am

Hi everyone,

We’ve been hard at work on a gigantic update to Audacity (version 3.2) that we expect to release around late September. In this post, we wanted to outline some of major new features that will be included.

Real-time effects support

This is the big one! Our most requested feature, which will massively improve your ability to produce polished audio & music.

FXAkM2HXoAMsJJY.jpeg
FXAkM2HXoAMsJJY.jpeg (408.18 KiB) Viewed 9282 times

In older versions of Audacity, effects you apply changes your audio data. For example, if you apply a reverb effect, it will 'bake' the effect into the audio. This system is great for anyone who wants to make a limited number of changes.

However, if you want to alter an effect, you need to undo it and try again. In Audacity 3.2, you can now also apply 'Real-time' effects to your audio. Realtime effects can be tweaked whenever you like and do not alter the audio data itself.

We’re spending a lot of time making sure that all 3rd party formats: VST, AU, LV2 & LADSPA will be supported. It is worth mentioning that for the release of 3.2, Audacity’s native effects will not yet be real-time capable. We will be working on converting many of them over the course of the next few releases. In the meantime, we will create a list of free plugins you can use instead on https://plugins.audacityteam.org.

Stackable effects

Our ‘stackable effects’ feature goes hand-in-hand with the real-time effects feature by allowing you to re-order any effects you apply. For example, if you apply a reverb effect, followed by a compression effect, you may dislike how the compression muffles the reverb. To fix this, you can place the compressor at the top of the signal chain, which tells the audio to pass through the compressor first and the reverb second.

VST3 support

We have also added support for VST3 effects plugins. For anyone not familiar with this format, there are plenty of excellent free offerings available, some of which we will add to our list at https://plugins.audacityteam.org/.

Quick audio sharing

For those who want to share high-quality audio quickly, we now have an option to export your audio directly to a new audio sharing service called audio.com, which will be launched very soon.

By selecting a Share Audio option, you will be taken to audio.com on your browser and provided with a handy link to send to your intended recipient. The audio you share can be downloaded in uncompressed .wav or compressed .mp3 format. If you think there are other formats we should support for downloaders in the future, please let us know here.

The ability to share audio requires a free account with a username and password on audio.com. Uploading to audio.com and sharing is fast, simple and (most importantly) free. Any audio you choose to upload privately will be safely protected.

If you want to test this service before the release of Audacity 3.2, you can do so by downloading our Beta release, expected in August. You can also sign up to audio.com here for an early preview too.

Audio.com is the new project from Muse Group, which is in its early stages, and we are inviting you to participate in shaping its future by sharing your feedback, including desired features and capabilities.

UX & UI improvements

We have cleared up a lot of the visuals in the top bar of Audacity.
  • The audio output bar and volume slider have been combined (with no loss of functionality)
  • The microphone output bar and volume slider have also been combined
  • The ‘Device Toolbar’ is now hidden by default. In its place is a new option called ‘Audio Setup’, where you can quickly make changes to your input, mic and output settings.
  • Lastly, we have also introduced cleaner and more consistent icons to all the main buttons in the top bar:
Audacity_LwsL2VuDZV.png
Audacity_LwsL2VuDZV.png (11.99 KiB) Viewed 9234 times
Please let us know if you have any questions about Audacity 3.2. In particular, it would be very useful to understand what additional real-time effects capability you would like to see in the future. For anyone who can’t wait to try it out, it would be massively appreciated if you would assist us by testing our beta release and providing feedback. We’ll be posting more information here when the beta release is ready.

Yours,
The Audacity Team

soulfire

Re: What to Expect in Audacity 3.2!

Post by soulfire » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:34 pm

I have put inside Audacity Plugins folder
ValhallaSpaceModulator_x64.dll and ValhallaSpaceModulator.vst3.
When I load Audacity, it says about incompatibility of plugins and I can't use it.

jademan

Post by jademan » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:39 pm

soulfire wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:34 pm
When I load Audacity, it says about incompatibility of plugins and I can't use it.
Note that 3.2 is not expected to be released before Sepetember and the Beta not before August. If you like living dangerously, you can try it with the current (nightly) Alpha which contains bugs, so be sure you have a backup: https://nightly.link/audacity/audacity/ ... ild/master

soulfire

Post by soulfire » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:53 pm

jademan wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:39 pm
Note that 3.2 is not expected to be released before Sepetember and the Beta not before August. If you like living dangerously, you can try it with the current (nightly) Alpha which contains bugs, so be sure you have a backup: https://nightly.link/audacity/audacity/ ... ild/master
I did.
How do I install Substrate and Valhala? https://mastrcode-music.de/downloads/vs ... %20bit.exe
Simply copying vst3 into Plu-ins folder doesn't make it on the plugins list.

LWinterberg
Forum Staff

Post by LWinterberg » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:06 pm

The .vst3 files certainly work for me in the latest Audacity 3.2 alpha build - Windows 11, 64-bit Audacity, with the plugins installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3.

Did you try using the official installers found at https://valhalladsp.com/demos-downloads/ ?
Audacity Team member (support & design - not a programmer)
Need help? Check Audacity Support and the manual!

soulfire

Post by soulfire » Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:09 pm

LWinterberg wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:06 pm
The .vst3 files certainly work for me in the latest Audacity 3.2 alpha build - Windows 11, 64-bit Audacity, with the plugins installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3.
Wait this is the folder to install it?
I was copying it to AppData\Roaming\audacity\Plug-Ins

jademan

Post by jademan » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:40 pm

soulfire wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:09 pm
Wait this is the folder to install it?
OK, so I tried LWinterberg's suggestion of downloading from here: https://valhalladsp.com/demos-downloads/

I downloaded "Valhalla VintageVerb Demo" Windows Demo:Version 2.2.0: Updated 11/23/2021, then ran ValhallaVintageVerbDemoWin_V2_2_0.exe from the unzipped directory. I selected *only* the VST3 version, which was installed to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\ValhallaVintageVerb.vst3

I then started up Audacity 3.2 Alpha: audacity-win-3.2.0-alpha-20220711+468fad9-x64, created (Generated) a chirp, then Effect > ValhallaVintageVerb..

The Valhalla splash screen came right up, but then Audacity crashed right away. So it appears there are still some bugs to be ironed out. :(

This issue has been logged here: https://github.com/audacity/audacity/issues/3224

jademan

Post by jademan » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:08 pm

jademan wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:40 pm
This issue has been logged here: https://github.com/audacity/audacity/issues/3224
So this particular problem has been addressed by PR#3047, which is currently being reviewed but has not yet been implemented in the Alpha. The developers are also exploring some related design tweak suggestions, so a final solution may not be imminent.

Also FYI,
LWinterberg wrote: the non-demo versions at the bottom of the page (Freq Echo, Supermassive, Space Modulator) do work for me, which are the ones the user had trouble with.3.2

soulfire

Post by soulfire » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:14 pm

Some vsts like Explorer 0.9.1 has this structure which Audacity doesn't recognize in the Plug-ins.
VST3 folder has .vst3 file nas Presets folder has some .xml files
k8.JPG
k8.JPG (10.27 KiB) Viewed 8863 times
I wish vst plugins would have only only standard structure.

Which VSTs are the most useful which are free? Demo vsts add some seconds of silence.
Last edited by steve on Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix attachment tags

SivleFred

Post by SivleFred » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:01 am

Will Audacity include the spectral editing option talked about last year?
https://www.audacityteam.org/audacity-s ... roduction/