P&R Error at End of Track

Bug reports for Audacity 2.3.0 alpha
Forum rules
This forum is only for feedback and bug reports for the specified version of Audacity.

All bug reports must include the following information:
  • Exact version number of Audacity
  • Operating system version
  • Brief description of the problem
  • Detailed, step by step instructions for how to reproduce the problem
Bug reports that do not include the above information will be deleted

Additional information and / or screenshots should be included as necessary to adequately describe the problem.
StuartGauffi
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

P&R Error at End of Track

Post by StuartGauffi » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:31 am

When using Punch and Roll, if you do one insertion, then decide you didn't like it and hit Undo (so you're left with the track up to the insertion point), the head is at End of Track, and you can't just do Shift-D to P&R from that point--the error says you must be at a point in the track. The same error is produced if you just go to end of track (K) and try to P&R record from there. While this is clearly the intended behavior, it's not useful for the user. One should be able to hit K, then Shift-D to preroll from end-of-track and carry on recording.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: P&R Error at End of Track

Post by waxcylinder » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:40 am

Hi Stuart,
StuartGauffi wrote:When using Punch and Roll, if you do one insertion, then decide you didn't like it and hit Undo (so you're left with the track up to the insertion point), the head is at End of Track, and you can't just do Shift-D to P&R from that point--the error says you must be at a point in the track.
I have been extensively QA testing this on Windows and mac and working on the documentation for this - and I do not see this behavior.

a) When I Stop Punch and Roll (during the rolling recording), the head stays at the splice point I set,
b) when I do the Undo the head still stays at the splice point
c) I can then use Shift+D to redo a Punch and Roll

Actually there is a undocumented feature whereby i can omit step b) (the Undo)

I can recreate your issue if I stop P&R during the pre-roll playback

d) When I Stop Punch and Roll during the 5 second pre-roll platback , the head stays at the splice point I set
e) but this point is now the end of the track as the P&R command has removed the unwanted audio beyond the splice point
f) Shift+D then produces the error do to the condition you describe below

g) if you now do an Undo the "unwanted" audio is restored and you can re-perform the P&R with Shift+D

StuartGauffi wrote: The same error is produced if you just go to end of track (K) and try to P&R record from there. While this is clearly the intended behavior, it's not useful for the user. One should be able to hit K, then Shift-D to preroll from end-of-track and carry on recording.
I'm not convinced that this is intended behavior - and I'm far from convinced that it is good or wanted behavior - it seems perfectly sensible to the that you might want to P&R from the end of a track to take the benefit of the pre-roll playback.

We did make a change recently so that if the splice point position was the beginning of the track then P&R would not work and would produce the error message. This was mainly to protect against deletion of a whole track where the user had set "on" the "select all if none selected" preference.

I am going to raise a bug report for P&R not working with splice point at track end.

Many thanks for testing and for your report - much appreciated. :)

Peter.

UPDATE: bug raised: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1890
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:18 pm

waxcylinder wrote:
a) When I Stop Punch and Roll (during the rolling recording), the head stays at the splice point I set,
b) when I do the Undo the head still stays at the splice point
c) I can then use Shift+D to redo a Punch and Roll

Actually there is a undocumented feature whereby i can omit step b) (the Undo)
I have now updated the alpha 2.3.0 Manual page for thathttps://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Punch_and_Roll_Record#Still_not_satisfied.3F

Peter
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

Paul L
Operating System: Please select

Post by Paul L » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:18 pm

StuartGauffi wrote:When using Punch and Roll, if you do one insertion, then decide you didn't like it and hit Undo (so you're left with the track up to the insertion point), the head is at End of Track, and you can't just do Shift-D to P&R from that point--the error says you must be at a point in the track.
I do not observe the same when I try it. If Undo is the very next thing I do after stopping the re-recording, then all is restored as it was just before Shift+D -- the cursor position is as before and the old bad take is back to the right of it. I was careful to be sure it worked that way before inviting alpha testers.
The same error is produced if you just go to end of track (K) and try to P&R record from there. While this is clearly the intended behavior, it's not useful for the user. One should be able to hit K, then Shift-D to preroll from end-of-track and carry on recording.
This is a good idea and we may do it this way before release. Thank you for the suggestion.

Paul