Audacity Logo Redesign

User-contributed artwork and graphics.
Forum rules
ImageUser-contributed graphics, logos, themes, buttons, icons and other artwork relating to Audacity.
Images and suggestions posted here are primarily for fun. Audacity currently has few options for customising the appearance, but users may still like to share their vision of Audacity in the future.
Please read the READ ME post for this board before posting here.
WedzMantra
Operating System: Windows 10

Audacity Logo Redesign

Post by WedzMantra » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:20 am

Here is my Audacity logo redesign proposal. I know there are many. This one is certainly different that the rest. Here are some of my thoughts.

Logomark

The logomark is a stylized waveform utilizing negative space to create an “A” for Audacity. The waveform is also an ode to the current Audicatiy ideogram.

The goal for the logo design was to capture what Audacity is all about. Play, record, and edit sound. A waveform was already apart of the Audacity logo and with some adjustments can be the focus of the brand. This waveform icon is designed to be readable when scaled down.

In the past, the Audacity logo featured headphones as a prominent feature. With the advent of smartphones and advances in UI design, headphone icons have become synonymous with elements used for web, app or default phone menu items or packaging design info. Because of the current trends a headphone icon can be difficult to effectively represent what Audacity is all about in an era dominated by mobile technology. Over the ear headphones aren’t the only way users play, record or edit audio. Many use in-ear headphones or mid range to high end studio monitors. Regardless of how users listen to their audio while working in Audacity, the waveform will be the most prominent element they will see. This makes the stylized waveform an ideal candidate for the Audacity logo.

Wordmark

This wordmark is a slightly altered version of the Rubik font.

Brand colors

The current brand colors are Red, Dandelion yellow, Orange and Blue. Taking into account color phsycology, these colors are intended to stimulate the feeling of hunger. Fast food chains have these colors ingrained into the minds of many customers. Mcdonalds, Burger King, In N Out Burger, Pizza Hut are just a few examples of this palette used in food marketing and branding.

The color palette I propose consists of middle red purple, pink raspberry, Portland orange and mikado yellow.
These colors are cohesive and help spark creativity, joy and enthusiasm while recording and editing audio in Audacity.

Summary

This design may be too much of a stretch from the original however I have taken many things into consideration such as brand perception and color physchology to make deliberate design decisions creating this logo. I believe these assets can be valuable to the Audacity brand aesthetics. I hope this can be a something to consider. If interested I have all assets available in svg and png. Thank you for taking a moment to read my proposal.
Attachments
Audacity Logo (31).jpg
Color Palette & ratio
Audacity Logo (31).jpg (176.78 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Audacity Logo (29).jpg
Logo B&W variants
Audacity Logo (29).jpg (348.37 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Audacity Logo (28).jpg
Logo color variants
Audacity Logo (28).jpg (121.56 KiB) Viewed 3714 times
Audacity Logo (27).jpg
Logomark construction
Audacity Logo (27).jpg (133.23 KiB) Viewed 3714 times

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Audacity Logo Redesign

Post by steve » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:57 am

Thanks for your contribution - an interesting take.
I've added the images to the Logo Gallery page: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=83108
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

WedzMantra

Post by WedzMantra » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:11 pm

Thanks for the response Steve! Happy to contribute!

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Trebor » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:52 pm

A very similar logo exists in the same marketplace ...

http://www.curioza.com/
Last edited by Trebor on Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

alectrocute

Post by alectrocute » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:44 pm

By far the best proposed logo thus far. I think this, and a refreshed theme, could transform the brand entirely.

WedzMantra

Post by WedzMantra » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:08 am

Trebor wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:52 pm
A very similar logo exists in the same marketplace ...

http://www.curioza.com/
Trebor I do agree with you that there are similarities in form. I would argue that their waveform is more “medical”, similar to ECG or something for EMTs.

I’m not sure if you are familiar with Gestalt principles and how they correlate to graphic design, but I just don’t see it in the AAMS logo. I would recommend this read to get a good idea of gestalt principles in logo design: https://www.toptal.com/designers/ui/ges ... -of-design.

My Audacity logo proposal uses closure to create negative space that not only draws attention to the waveform but creates the letter “A”. Everything is up for interpretation, and this is certainly just my perspective but to me one says EMTs or medical services while my proposal is more effective in communicating a software program for recording and editing audio. I do appreciate your input and I may explore other iterations for the Audacity logo in the future. Thank you for taking the time to view my proposal and sharing your thoughts on my design!

WedzMantra

Post by WedzMantra » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:14 am

alectrocute wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:44 pm
By far the best proposed logo thus far. I think this, and a refreshed theme, could transform the brand entirely.
Thank you Alectrocute! I appreciate the kind words. Working on theme designs. Focussing on icons and the toolbars at the moment. Still a work in progress still need to evaluate some things. I am just learning how to code but I would love to use this as a custom theme when finished.
Attachments
Audacity Logo (35).jpg
Audacity Logo (35).jpg (265.95 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
Audacity Logo (33).jpg
Audacity Logo (33).jpg (148.11 KiB) Viewed 3538 times

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Trebor » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:23 am

WedzMantra wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:08 am
Trebor I do agree with you that there are similarities in form ...
I think the design of your Audacity logo is excellent,
but if something similar already exists in the same marketplace there could be brand confusion / litigation.
Attachments
potential confusion.jpg
potential confusion.jpg (86.23 KiB) Viewed 3528 times

victorwestmann
Operating System: macOS 10.14 Mojave

Post by victorwestmann » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi there,

Even though there would be a natural resistance to change the logo, after all it is the project identity that was built along multiple years of hard work and continued usage of the logo in the current form, I believe we should unite as the users of the app and really propose good changes in UI, controls, buttons and maybe, even the splash screen which is small and timid.

The application in itself is really really good and it proved itself multiple times now that it helps all of its users around the globe.
In my mind, the question now is, how can we increase the usees base and the developers base? The answer (at leas to me) is the UI!

If we have a newer, fresher, and more modern UI that would spark a new interest of other users to avoid piracy and come to us to use Audacity.
We just need a new look and feel and your proposal is a great breath of fresh air in this direction!
  • Blender is popular because it has huge number of functionalities and its UI is beautiful.
  • Inkscape just revamped the theming options and will spark interest in a huge number of users (both new and old) to the app SOLELY because of the UI (not to mention hundreds of bug fixes as well, of course).
  • Gimp also benefitted largely on the dark, light, small, big, and huge button options
So all of the initiatives that push the project in this direction would be greatly benefitial.

QUESTION: is this only a high level proposal of new icons or is there a way I can use them inside of my Audacity 2.3.3 (or maybe 2.4.0?).
Super cool! Keep up the AWESOME work! GO go go!!

Thank you.
Victor
WedzMantra wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:14 am
alectrocute wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:44 pm
Thank you Alectrocute! I appreciate the kind words. Working on theme designs. Focussing on icons and the toolbars at the moment. Still a work in progress still need to evaluate some things. I am just learning how to code but I would love to use this as a custom theme when finished.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:54 am

victorwestmann wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:04 pm
If we have a newer, fresher, and more modern UI
One of the primary considerations when thinking about developing the UI, is that it is built with WxWidgets (https://www.wxwidgets.org/).
WxWidgets has long had a reputation for making ugly UI's, though much less ugly these days than back in the days of Windows XP.

WxWidgets was chosen in the very early days of Audacity (pre version 0.8) as the GUI toolkit because it was the only mature cross-platform toolkit to provide the features required by Audacity and also a guarantee of a permissible open source license. There are now tens of thousands of lines of code in Audacity that use Wx features.

There is speculation that Audacity may eventually move to an HTML5 UI, though that is likely to be years away.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)