Audacity Logo Redesign

User-contributed artwork and graphics.
Forum rules
ImageUser-contributed graphics, logos, themes, buttons, icons and other artwork relating to Audacity.
Images and suggestions posted here are primarily for fun. Audacity currently has few options for customising the appearance, but users may still like to share their vision of Audacity in the future.
Please read the READ ME post for this board before posting here.
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Audacity Logo Redesign

Post by steve » Sat May 09, 2020 5:52 pm

trodoo wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:22 pm
I'm including it here:
Did you post the wrong image? That's our current logo.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

victorwestmann
Operating System: macOS 10.14 Mojave

Post by victorwestmann » Sun May 10, 2020 1:34 am

Hi steve, thank you for your endorsement in moving the UX/UI discussions forward then.

Is it ok then if we propose things like:
  • a splash screen (that the user can enable or disable)
  • a welcome screen (a different one than the one we have today)
  • and new interface? (buttons, and themes)
  • new organization of the interface? (moving things around)
Thanks!
Victor

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sun May 10, 2020 5:39 am

victorwestmann wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:34 am
Is it ok then if we propose things like
It's OK to propose anything you like. See the "rules" in the pink box at the top of the page. "Images and suggestions posted here are primarily for fun".

As you see by browsing through this forum board, there's a huge range of ideas presented, very few of which have been or will be used in Audacity. A few have been (very few), and a few more may be, but most won't. The idea of this forum board is that a lot of Audacity users want to share their artistic vision for Audacity, so this board was set up as a place to do that.

victorwestmann

Post by victorwestmann » Sun May 10, 2020 6:15 am

Hi steve, I see.

While I have a lot of respect for everyone in this forum and I am glad that such a space exists... isn't it possible to have some work submitted in a different channel inside of the Audacity project that could be considered as a prototype for something? Do you know if anything like this exists today or is it just mere luck that any of the artwork/proposals of the volunteers here are studied, considered, and then transformed into a feature?

It is really good that you said what you said because this is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I don't want to spend hours into something that does not even have a remote chance of being considered to be adopted, or at least looked at, for the Audacity project.

I guess what I am trying to say is: do we have an UX/UI team inside of the Audacity to submit proposals and prototypes or is it just artwork and no one is really looking into this side of the application?

Just want to get a clarification on this to know if I should do any work on this or not. It would be really frustrating, to me at least, to submit hours of work to know it would be pinned into a forum section and never be looked at seriously.

Thanks
Victor

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Sun May 10, 2020 9:59 am

victorwestmann wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:15 am
I guess what I am trying to say is: do we have an UX/UI team inside of the Audacity to submit proposals and prototypes or is it just artwork and no one is really looking into this side of the application?
Do you realize that this is a project run by a very small team of part-time volunteers in their spare time - it's not a major software corporation with masses of payrolled staff, layers of management and teams for this that and the other. We have 3-4 developers and 3-4 QA folk (and these QA folk are also the the key contributors on this Forum).

victorwestmann wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:15 am
isn't it possible to have some work submitted in a different channel inside of the Audacity project that could be considered as a prototype for something? Do you know if anything like this exists today or is it just mere luck that any of the artwork/proposals of the volunteers here are studied, considered, and then transformed into a feature?
This is the channel - as I said above our 3-4 QA folk are the key contributors to this Forum - so rest assured I'm sure all of them will have seen it. There is also a Quality email list but it's the same folk who inhabit that eco-sphere.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

victorwestmann

Post by victorwestmann » Sun May 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Hi wc. Thank you for your reply.

There seems to be a disconnect in what I am saying and you guys are perceiving. Apologies if I am not being clear enough. Is there space to open a new and small team of volunteers to propose new ideas to influence Audacity application? I am not asking anything from the team besides space to talk about these other topics. This will be composed by new team members.

This is what I am trying to say. I would like to be one of the first people to join this small team to propose new ideas.

What do you think?

Victor

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Sun May 10, 2020 10:16 pm

You can certainly propose ideas. Many users do. We have a huge list of proposed ideas here: https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Feature_Requests
Some of the ideas eventually get implemented, but implementation take time and effort for one or more developers. Audacity developers are volunteers, so they tend to take up ideas that interest them.

The next release after 2.4.0 is planned to implement a "Unitary Project format", which has been a very frequently requested feature for many years. It'll be a big job, so there will not be much (or any) new stuff in that release other than the new project format.

victorwestmann

Post by victorwestmann » Sun May 10, 2020 11:10 pm

Hi steve. I see! So I believe I understood now that the formal way to propose changes would be to submit a ticket in the feature request list. Got it.
Apologies for the long thread and thank you for your explanation along the way.

Victor

morrow
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by morrow » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:10 am

Hi Victor,

I'm interested in doing some initial UX research to discover the hardest to use parts of Audacity. I'm doing this as a ux portfolio piece but could be useful to the audacity dev team.

There are a few examples on the wiki of this being a need for the dev team:
The icon/logo is in many ways the cherry on the cake. At this stage in Audacity's development we are more interested in computer savvy graphics designers who will help us on an ongoing basis, improving the look of the wiki, the manual, icons in the program and so on, rather than just a new logo. We would like to have a unified appearance rather than a patchwork and, when we have Theming working well, we would definitely like new skins for Audacity.
https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Design_Topics
A well-argued report on the usability and discoverability of Audacity features would be helpful to us. We have to use our resources wisely, so
https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/GUI_ ... Guidelines

Not sure if you have any interest in this, let me know.

- Morrow

victorwestmann

Post by victorwestmann » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:03 pm

Hi Morrow,

Yes. I would like to be part of this if you allow me to. Understand what are the different types of user that use Audacity, what are their primary uses of the application and what are the main complains in the main groups. So we can propose new windows for the features that can be improved and addres their issues/improvements as much as possible.

Audacity is an amazing piece of software. It just needs, in my opinion, more modern UI/UX.

Thanks,
Victor